Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 pm

prepare to laugh at my ignorance

Hello,

i've been drawing since I was a child. I got into it when a friend of mine was a very talented artist. I was around 12 then, he was older. But he taught me about shading etc.

throughout life i loved it. but when i got involved with computers I ended up stopping with physical mediums and started using corel draw, and then later adobe photoshop and adobe illustrator.

Fast forward many years (i'm 48 now) i'm beginning to lose my eye sight due to compications from Diabetes. I decided i wanted to get back into the physical mediums while I still can. So i bought supplies recenty, many different pads of paper, etc. i had always used mechanical pencils but the caveat is you have to be very good with those to shade. I learned to get so close to the paper my nose almost touched it, but it allowed me to use a really light touch, and even with a .3 lead I could use paper to shape the tip enough to allow me to shade.

This time I decided i wanted to do this the right way. I bought 5 clutch pencils, and a bunch of 2mm graphite leads ranging from hard to soft... AWESOME. I cannot tell you how much i like these pencils. they all came with a single lead, but i bought boxes of 12 from staedtler ranging from very hard to very soft because I wanted the whole schmear :)

Well, this is where embarrassment comes in.... FedEx delivered them today (i already have one clutch pencil, with a hh lead but it's too hard). i went to open the box.... and... um... well.... for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the dang box. i can open the top and a little plastic thing sits there, it looks like a cap, but I have no idea what that is for, so that's question 1. question 2 is.. how do I open the sliding box to get to the stinkin leads? Holy mackerel that is embarrassing. 48 years old and I can't figure out how to open a box.

I don't want to break it, but i searched YouTube, and everywhere I could think. I tried to buy these at a local place ( i live in a small town of 50,000 people), but the only art supply store here is Michaels and incredibly they had never even heard of clutch pencils, or 2mm lead.... WOW.

anyway, here's is a pic of the box i have, and without laughing too hard could someone tell me how to open this?

Also, i know this inst the appropriate forum but it seems busier, and I'm like a little kid at Christmas, I want to test these out and I'm excited so i posted here thinking I'd get a reply faster.

Thank you so much for any help.