FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My first drawing in decades!

Moderator: duey

<<

dariel89

Brand New Member

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 pm

My first drawing in decades!

This is my 1st drawing that I have done in a long time. Tell me what you think. I used a 2H charcoal pencil and a 4b and 6b graphite pencils. Is it ok to combine charcoal and graphite in a drawing? The graphite reflects light and if you look at the drawing sideways looks shiny where I use the graphite.
<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: My first drawing in decades!

looks good! dont see any reason why you couldnt combine the two. the shininess of the graphite will be emphazised a bit by the charcoal, but if it looks good it looks good. YOu can use a matte fixative to get down the shininess.
<<

cubexxx

Amateur
Amateur

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: My first drawing in decades!

In most cases I will say no, try to stay away from mixing charcoal and graphite. There are some very dark graphite pencils however, that I like to use to get very light tones in charcoal drawings. At this level, the shiny quality is almost non existent but as soon as you start getting heavier with the pencil, it will clash badly with the charcoal and will never mix. I made a full out charcoal and pencil drawing one time and I remember my instructor looking down on it knowing that I have and could do better work.
Before you act, you feel.
Before you feel, you imagine
Before you imagine, you have a thought.
Where do your thoughts come from?
Your heart.
keep it pure.

Return to Drawings