[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - First time posting
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First time posting

Moderator: duey

<<

matannawi

Brand New Member

Post Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 pm

First time posting

Hey guys first time here' i've been drawing by myself for a while and figured I might as well see what others do and where that leads me.
I've never studied art in any way, so any kind of adivce would be appreciated.

something I drew a couple of months ago of a girl I used to work around ,it was her birthday and her friends wanted to suprise her.

Once more all types of constructive critique is welcomed.
Have a lovely day.
<<

LARSMUR

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 am

Re: First time posting

Looks good, but in my opinion you should darken it up a lot more. It seems like it is way too bright, both the hair and the skin, but mostly the skin. Keep up the good work ;)
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm

It's a brilliant start for a photo, if I was to give a few pointers though I would say

1) When drawing a portrait there shouldn't be any white space on the paper unless it's a very bright photograph and that's what the highlights indicate, have a look through Brian's tutorials and he'll explain how to do a "wash" this is basically going over your entire photo blending in a very light shade of pencil and then darker shades should follow around it, Never be afraid to go darker, the phrase "That's why pencils have erasers" is beyond perfect in this scenario!

2) Make sure you have the right equipment for a drawing including (obviously) a full variety of pencils, you can usually buy a tin of pencils that range from 2H - 6B those should do you perfectly, also some drawing paper is always good as this holds the graphite, aside from that everything else used for blending can be found around the house (Tissues, Ear cleaners ect)

3) Rome wasn't built in a day! :) take time with your drawings, some of the phenomenal artists on here spend up to 20 hours on the first 1/4 of the photo, I would be a hypocrite if I said i put that much attention in to mine but I do put about 20-30 to complete on of mine, but i'm still learning like you! :)

4) Finally, Size! the one thing I've realised is I can be very easily distracted and I can over-face myself with a really big drawing, this isn't what you want, try drawing on a smaller scale to get the fundamentals of shading, you'll have an easier time creating something beautiful as well as having fun at the same time

Please don't think i'm saying any of this to offend you this is just advice that I was given a long time ago and it really helped me progress!
Happy drawing!
Treat others as you'd wish to be treated.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 am

<<

matannawi

Brand New Member

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:12 am

Ok Lars if i get you right so basicly what is missing is more layers to make the drawing darker? I usually go for lighter colors because if I make it too dark and try to erase the pencile just smudges and I can't erase it but i'll try darking my work up and see waht happens

Dan:
20 hours?! this I'm pretty sure I did this in ten, which i guess explains why it looks so half baked.
For this particuler one I think I used HB-2 B2 and B4 but I got some new pencils I'm dying to try out.
where're Brains tutrials? I couldn't find them in the video section.

I don't think you tried to offend me, you gave me good positive and constructive critique not something like "Your drawings sucks you should goback to drawing by numbers" which is pretty shallow and unhelpful stuff I got from some people.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to implament and post my results.
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 pm

<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 pm

<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Quick sketch of a side profile, 1 Hour so excuse how messy it is!

Return to Drawings