[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Newbie looking for feedback
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Newbie looking for feedback

Moderator: duey

<<

PencilPusher

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Newbie looking for feedback

Started drawing about 3 1/2 years ago (2009). I feel like I'm hitting a wall and could use some feedback to hopefully move on. Thank you for your time and consideration. Thinking seriously about taking some lessons or a class. Jeff

2011. This is a WIP, I don't have a picture of the finished drawing.

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:11 am

Re: Newbie looking for feedback

Your drawings are really good and you have been at it longer than me, so no advice really, just applause for a good job well done.
Welcome to the forum.

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Same as Larc said,you've been drawing longer than me too. It's the choice of subject that I feel is more important as you progress..always something that will push you harder,I think my last subject killed me though.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

PencilPusher

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm

<<

PencilPusher

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Jeff, If you struggle with blending..don't blend.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:58 pm

<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 pm

These are really good, and I'm impressed at the timescale. Only advice I could give is to maybe keep your pencils sharp for the more finely detailed parts to get more contrast and a richer appearance. But thats not a criticism, they are great as they are.

Welcome.

Mark
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

PencilPusher

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:13 pm

<<

PencilPusher

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:22 pm

<<

PencilPusher

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 pm

"Thank you for your kind comment on my work, I suffered from "everyone's better than me syndrome" but am slowly coming to realise that I'm not actually in competition with anyone."

Thanks Carl. Your comment, and Russ's, have really got me thinking. I suffer from the same condition, but hadn't really thought about. I read somewhere that the problem with comparing yourself to a Master, is that you will always feel inferior. I think that a lot of this is really mental. Thanks again, Jeff
<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 am

On the first drawing,,it feels like the higlights are missing and some places could be ore dark,,but it maybe just a lose while projecting it by takin a photo or scan it..the boy on scond picture loox great,,two old mens,,nice drawing but shadin could of been a bit smoother imo,,clint eastwood is amazing.....

nice artwork
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you
<<

brian604

Brand New Member

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:09 pm

BMINUS - Vancouver - Graffiti in motion
"Keep on creating"
Quick Youtube tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hArmP_X1J5o
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I think these are brilliant without a doubt! I've been drawing for longer than you and I openly admit you're more advanced than me, I think that with you "hitting a brick wall" the best advice would be to challenge yourself, aim for a bigger scale and focus more on intricate detail, if you Google "Hyper-realistic portraits" you can see what can be accomplished on a much broader scale, obviously these are by some remarkable artists but if you've got the time and perseverance you could be one of them.
Also from the photo's (I'm probably wrong as you've been drawing for three years and you've obviously drawn more than three pictures) but it looks like you're limiting yourself to graphite?, You should try different mediums like Charcoal or oil paints just to mix it up a little so you don't get bored, maybe instead of lessons, you should go to life drawing classes, draw what you see and be inspired by the styles of other people to try out different styles of drawing.

Anyway, as I said earlier these are brilliant drawings, I think your brick wall maybe just a lapse of inspiration, it will soon come back.
Treat others as you'd wish to be treated.
Next

Return to Drawings