[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - My first face pencil drawing - opinions?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My first face pencil drawing - opinions?

Moderator: duey

<<

Juan Bad Man

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm

My first face pencil drawing - opinions?

Hi folks! Great forum here! I'd just like to show my first attempt at a pencil drawing of a face, and ask for some feedback. I have a few ideas about what needs to be worked on, but I think I just need some opinions before I work on it any more, or try another. I've been staring at it so long that it's lost all meaning in my brain..lol! This is a drawing of a friend, from a photo.

<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: My first face pencil drawing - opinions?

I think it looks pretty good. The proportions look nice. The bottom of the nose may need some tweaking.
Other than that some even shading would make a world of difference on this drawing.
For a first face drawing it is really impressive. :)
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Juan Bad Man

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks so much for the advice so far! I will definitely take both of your comments on board and improve the shading, perhaps starting with the pupils. I just bought an 8B pencil so I think I can do some better shadows at least. :D
<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi,,as it was said go darker and smoother with shading,,but also i would advice to spend more time on working out details,,how long did it take u to draw this portrait? A portrait IMO should take a good fe hours till its completely done if there was a good time spent on small details to make it look smooth, real, and clean. I'm not criticising,,, we all started once and we are all still learning. Keep up with good work,,keep up with posting ur work and u will be on a good way to be a great artist
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you
<<

Juan Bad Man

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Stanya - Yeah I suppose my lack of confidence made me rush a little. I assumed that the end result wouldn't be great so I didn't want to take much time on details. But I definitely will next time! :D Seems everyone advises on darker shadows, so I just bought some better pencils. Gonna use an 8B for the dark shadows, my 6B for the main outlines and my HB for the soft shading. The 6B seems like a great general purpose pencil. I'm not good enough yet to justify getting better tools, but I can imagine using charcoal in the future. 8)
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Jaun

We all need to start somewhere, and this is better than my first effort, so well done.
Keep at it, and use the advice offered on here to improve your talent.
Smooth shading is key to creating a good skin texture and proportion are key to creating a good likeness...we shall address hair at a later date.
But for now.... =D> Well done!

<<

Juan Bad Man

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks so much! :) And yeah I think the hair is a whole other issue here lol... I just wanted to get it done as quickly as I could, probably due to the lack of confidence, but from now on I will commit more to my work, and hope for the best! I suppose patience is a big part of the learning process.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Return to Drawings