[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Back again.
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Back again.

Moderator: duey

<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Back again.

Hey everyone, I used to always come on here for tips and tricks from Brian but I never usually visited the Topics.
When I was last on here a few years ago and got a hard dose of reality with my drawings (Too much white space, don't be afraid to go darker ect), which really helped me along my way.
I still speak quite frequently to Brian through facebook and admire his work from afar, but I thought it's about time I manned up and put some of my recent works on here just to gather some input now i'm a bit further along than I was.
Please don't hold back, be as brutal/honest as you like, it really did help me last time.
Also if you've got your own little tips or tricks when it comes to drawing hair please share them, that's a major downfall of mine and i'm showing no progression in that area when it comes to it, also eyes, some of my work i get so much detail done then realise it's too much and bugger it all up with a rubber, I get approached for commission on a regular basis but I always decline as i'm not confident in the fact my drawings would lack certain attributes that would make the drawing worth the money, if you get what i mean? so yeah thanks in advance for your help!.

Anyway here's where I was a few years ago with my art.

And now to bring you to date.
Robert Powell Graphite (not happy with the beard)

Heath Ledger A3 Coloured Pencils. (wasn't happy with the eyes)

WIP Jack Savoretti, Graphite & Charcoal on A4 Bristolboard

Remember, Say what you like, good or bad it all helps and God knows I need it! Thanks for reading everyone!
There are more bits of my art on www.facebook.com/DanWDrawings if you'd like to check it out.
Treat others as you'd wish to be treated.
<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 am

Re: Back again.

Hi,,i cant say nice to c u back coz im here only few months,,lookin at your drawing from years ago and what u do now it is a huge improvement,,however,,on the first picture it all look very good i think that the nose is a bit off to side and u may need to work a bit on that beard and mustache also i would make the inside shadows of around the eyes next to the nose even more dark it look a bit flat but maybe it is coz the camera.
on the joker the eyes looks a bit small and the forhead looks a bit too big or too high up and again the hair i what i would suggest to work on and the ears they look very flat rather than in angle. I do like the nose and scars.
the last one comin up nicely,,how do u trace the picture to have a right proportions?
nice work in overal,,keep practising
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Dan

You know I love your stuff already, did you ever finish that Angelina Jolie drawing???
Welcome back. :)

<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 pm

<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

Hi once again Dan,how's Manchester..wet i suppose :lol:
Have a look on Larcs dA site,he's got some hair tutts that might help you.Good to see an old face return.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm

<<

nonstoptaxi

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:30 pm

hey dan,
thanks for your comment on my recent posting.

I've been away from this forum for a while and haven't been drawing much at all! I'm not nearly as good as many of the others on here, but thought i'd leave you with a few thoughts.

I agree with the others that you've really improved since your first portrait. I'm impressed that you draw your proportions freehand! The old adage of a one's greatest strength being a weakness might be apt here...looking at your portraits, there's things that are ever so slightly off which detract from the final finish. Key observations:

1) your highlights in the jesus and joker eyes need to be pretty much identical for both eyes. You can see e.g. the joker eyes particularly, the white highlights aren't similar.

2) your pupils in your eyes similarly need to be same for both eyes. See joker's eyes for most obvious example that this didn't really happen.

3) shading: although your technique has come leaps and bounds since your first posting, I feel that your graduations in contrast from one point to the next needs to be smoother. Your WIP jack savoretti piece on this chin illustrates the need for this. I'm a bit confused why there is shade on parts of this chin, but other parts on the same plane of the chin are really white in comparison. Getting the subtle change from different areas of tones right, make a portrait more photorealistic.

4) this is a general comment that I am only realising myself now. When you draw from a photo, you will notice shade and light...but sometimes for more eye catching pics where shadow is dramatic on parts of the face, parts of the face in darkness actually look peculiar - even though it's a 100% accurate camera image of the original person in the lighting conditions. By drawing exactly what you see, you end up reproducing something that looks a bit weird, so in other words, drawing what you see can sometimes 'ruin' your portrait. Example is your jesus nose. Not saying it should have shadow, but clearly having it there messes up the general aesthetic of the final picture. So perhaps you just need to think about how dark and how you should present it.

Anyway, hope that's sufficient feedback for now...I need to get back to drawing myself. Oh I also learnt that when you or anyone produces a portrait...you're gona likely thinks it's pretty good...but you realise after e.g. a year, that the pic you posted was in fact not so good. Weird that huh? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

DanWoodier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:22 pm

<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:31 pm

<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm