[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Vince Vaughn sketch, and some questions
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Vince Vaughn sketch, and some questions

Moderator: duey

<<

Greggo777

Brand New Member

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:17 am

Vince Vaughn sketch, and some questions

Hi, every few years I have a stab at drawing but soon give up after realising I'm not as good as I imagined! This is another of those moments. Drew a few sketches recently but didn't really finish them, but the one I post here is a slight improvement as i've worked on the mistakes of earlier efforts - which was generally using blunt pencils, too many dark pencils, poor blending techniques. This is just a simple sketch where i've only used 2H and B (then went over dark bits with 5B) and didn't bother blending. As I say, nothing spectacular at all but wanted to make an initial post and get a few tips, hopefully I'll keep practising and improve. Will try gridding and blending again when I'm a bit more confident. Not a great photo as the camera seemed to focus around the chin area so the top half is slightly blurred.

Some basic noob questions which I probably do know the answers to but could do with some clarifying.....

1. Is it better to use more pencils, or less (with varying pressure to product lighter/darker effects with same pencil)?
2. So, after drawing a light outline do you start with the darker areas/pencils first and then work out to the lighter areas?
3. Does quality of pencils and paper make much difference? I'd love to blame the pencils! Ha!
4. Is posture/positioning important? I mainly draw at night, in bed.
5. Have most artists here found drastic improvements over their initial drawings compared to the standards they produce today? ie, will I get MUCH better with practice, or only slightly better???
6. Is hair the hardest thing to draw EVER?!

Think I've waffled enough for now, thanks for reading.
<<

pillharrier

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:24 am

Re: Vince Vaughn sketch, and some questions

Hi,

Not a bad effort, and yes keep practicing. It makes a lot of difference. There wasa thread recently where someone (can't recall whom) posted a two drawingas about 2 years apart. The difference was staggering.

Some answers from my perspective...

1. More pencils gives you more scope, but whatever suits you really. I use 2H right down to 8B, but rarely use a large range on one drawing.
2. Depends. Start with a complicated bit - the eyes are popular for a portrait. Some like to work from top left to bottom right to avoid smuding with their hand.
3. Not a lot of difference.
4. In bed sounds impractical. A good position at a desk may help. I stand at present at my drawing board wwhich is at a 70 degree angle.
5. I've been drawing since childhood and I am much better now. But I had the natural abilioty back then.
6. Light coloured hair is difficult. Hair varies so much that there's not a straight answer.

Regards

Mark
http://pillharrier.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/markeversonpencilart
<<

Tanner05

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:45 pm

The sketch is very good. Especially for not having practiced very much in the past.
Yes practice will drastically improve your results. It really helps if you can have an honest observer look at your finished works and tell you where you need work.
Otherwise, you just end up making the same mistakes over and over again.

Having the right materials certainly helps, but I've drawn for years with only a #2 pencil and a Wal-Mart drawing pad.
That was back in middle school when I drew some of my best reference drawings.

Here is an example of how much practice and good critiquing can help. (I'm not trying to jack your thread, just showing my experience. :) )
I drew this about six months ago when I was first learning how to draw with out a reference. Everything is off on it.
I finished this a week ago. The noses are still slightly too long and a few other aspects are off, but it is better than the first drawing.
Practice makes a HUGE difference.

The most important thing you'll have: patience. I cannot stress enough how important it is to not rush a drawing.
I have a really hard time with this and its obvious in my drawings.

Good luck, I hope you continue drawing. :)
<<

MichaelN

Addicted
Addicted

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm

I'd say the most important thing is practice, practice, practice. I've seen some incredible drawings done with a plain
old #2 yellow pencil on brown paper bags. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Mike

<<

Greggo777

Brand New Member

Post Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks all, for advice and encouragement. I`ll practise some more and post something soon for a critique and hopefully progress on from there.
Cheers.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm

That drawing is really good Greggo,all the above is good advice,but the better quality paper and pencils will only make a difference if you are serious.The best golf clubs wont turn you into Tiger Woods.
Mark,I prefer to draw at 68 degrees :D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

stanya

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

the picture is quite good,,as u can recognise the person on it,,even the left eye is a bit bigger and a bit off position wise.
1. depend how deep dark you wanna go with the dark places on the drawing. i use hb down to 10B,,but most of the time max 4 pencils hb, 2b for start and finishin darker places with 6b and 10b
2. guess is all on the artists how they feel confident to work out the drawing,,i prefer to draw the whole picture with hb and 2b so i got already the highlights and the dark places, and thn when all proportions are good and happy with the pre-result then i finishing details with 6b to 10b pencils to create the dept
3. dont really know using a few types of pencils but nothin posh or high branded,,dont ven know now from the top of my head what brand are my pencils,,paper i do like the heavy weight snow white
4. usually the best position is hte one what is comfortable and makin u tired or aching in short time,,dont sound very cozy drawing in bed,,prefer at the desk whilst sittin,,but atm on my new picture as it is on A1 i have to stand,,not too comfy either but got no choice
5. practice for sure make a huge difference,,if i look back to my drawings from the past and see the pictures im doin now,,can see a massive different. actually it did happent to me a few times that i pulled out my old finished drawing and did work on it few more hours to finish it again.
6. i never thought that the hair is that difficult ot draw,,just keep watchi and followong the lines, depht and highliths
Oh maybe I'll build my house on your cloud
Here I'm tumbling for you
Stumbling through the work that I have to do
Don't mean to harm you

Return to Drawings