[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Ice Dragon
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ice Dragon

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Gragg

Pro
Pro

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Ice Dragon

Im struggling with making my paintings look realistic. Any helpful thoughts??

<<

Aphos

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:36 am

Re: Ice Dragon

well i seen on this the outlining,it doesn't have to come visible workin' in realism style :D
<<

Gragg

Pro
Pro

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 am

Yea I see what your saying Aphos, I always get way to caught up in the detail, and lose the picture as a whole.....so much learning and so little time, lol.
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

Great comic book style.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

kevballart

Brand New Member

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:31 am

The image looks great. It is more of the shading as a whole that I would work on. As boring and technical as it may seem determining your light source will help out greatly. It will help with the shading and allow you to create more contrast,drama and a more dynamic image. Here it looks like the main source of light is from the mouth. I would add more brightness around that area and think about where the other shadows will be casted onto the rock and from the light source casting shadows of his own limbs onto his body.

One of my main issues when learning was not having enough contrast in my images. If you focus on creating contrast that will also help with the realism.

It is of course hard to determine where shadows will fall with out a little knowledge of lighting.If you have a flashlight or lamp you can do a few tests with your own face or toys. A toy dragon or action figure lit up by the lamp will give you the contrast and lighting effects to study from. The comic book style of the dragon is really good. If you just make the darks a little darker and then balance out the values you will see a marked improvement in the rendering of the images.

I hope that helps a little.
Keep it Simple
Enjoy the journey..the destination will be all that ore rewarding

http://drawing-and-coloring.com
http://shadingmasters.com
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KevballArt
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Pretty detailed and solid reply on a painting more than one year old.
I don't think that Gragg even visits this forum anymore.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

kevballart

Brand New Member

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Lol. Yeah. I figured if he did read it it would help but if any one else did come in and see it it might be helpful too. :wink:
Keep it Simple
Enjoy the journey..the destination will be all that ore rewarding

http://drawing-and-coloring.com
http://shadingmasters.com
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KevballArt
<<

RyanSilver

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 am

Well if he ecer gets back "great drawing!"
Love art of all kinds. Got inspired to make a website after playing "Draw Something" and seeing how many amazingly talented people there are out there!

Return to Digital Art