[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Digital Character Design - Second try [Face]
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Digital Character Design - Second try [Face]

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Digital Character Design - Second try [Face]

After finishing the tutorial about drawing the eye, I took in consideration doing one of Luis Royo-s artwork:

I did not go for the variation of drawing with pencil and scanning the base of this work, cause of one reason, I wanted to do all the work with my tablet.
So I struggled real hard. Drawing with tablet is something I did not got used to yet. I would do a sketch of this drawing in 30 seconds on paper, and it would look good, but here I was in real temptation for about 2 hours to smash my drawing tablet. After all I managed to draw a strange metamorphosed copy of the original drawing:

Next thing, I did the coloring, tried to do the shadows right, the hair, fixed the chin, and tried to stop the leakages, I do not know how much successful, and of course I used my knowledge of my finished eye tutorial just somewhere earlier, on the eyes:

Then I realized, that the face I have drawn does not really look like the referent face. What a mistake. I tried to do some sketch, skew, remove, reframe and every magic tricks that I know in PhotoShop to make things right.
I managed to do the right distance between the eyes, I went into some hair texturing, which is a huge unfamiliar for me at this moment, I did the mouth, actually I am satisfied with the mouth, and I did some more skin coloring:

This digital face drawing is finished.
I know that it is not look so, but I did my lesson, I tried it the first time, and it took enough time from my life.
The next work will go more further, in more details, more finished, with more patience i hope.
Last edited by Plissken on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See my drawings and digital paintings now!!!

Or else, drunk Mel Gibson will come to your house and beat you up!
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:47 pm

You have to start from somewhere, and this is a really good start Plissken! Perhaps if you started it out on paper like Luis Royo did you could get the proportions a little closer to being correct. At any rate, your skills with the tablet are increasing at a very fast rate... this drawing is much more complex than your eye drawing!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:41 am

Thanks.
Yes, this one was much more trickier than doing the eye. Now I realized some basic mistakes that I did during this exercise, and I will surely try to perform better the next time.

<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Don't get discouraged. You're going in the right direction.
To me it always seemed my drawings always looked like magic marker on glass when I first start my drawings in Photoshop. You just have to keep working on it.
What exactly is hair texturing?
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

Plissken

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks for the positive words.

For hair texturing, i meant as i found in the dictionary,

texture=grain, weave, structure

to get the structure of the hair right, to simple draw the hair and make it look like a hair. Like in the PC game dictionary; the textures of the character.

<<

Lilith.bt

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:46 am

ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like solitary confinement...
<<

Atilla

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:57 am

Don't judge a book by it's cover , open it up and read it.

http://atilla10.deviantart.com/

Return to Digital Art