[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - First try
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First try

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

mlaus

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 pm

First try

So I want to be a graphic designer and this is my first drawing on Painter X. I have the free trial right now but am getting the software because it is unbelievable, and hopefully a tablet. The mouse is not going to cut it. I used the pencil clone because I love pencil. Critique please

<<

Shawn692

Addicted
Addicted

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Not bad for using a mouse. A tablet is the best investment for a digital artist, no doubt. When looking for one, try to stay off the main manufacturer's website or else you'll probably be paying a lot more than you need to. For example, if you were looking into a wacom tablet, buy it somewhere other than wacom.com...

Like I said, this is good for just using a mouse but a lot more realism could be reached; ie. the skin tone around the eye, where the eyeball's limits are in the actual socket, bottom eye lashes, etc. But like you said, its your first try. I doubt you were going for much in this one.

And just to add...welcome to the forums.
Shawn King does digital art stuff. Yo.
<<

angeleswings

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:21 am

My dad and my brother do a lot of digital art. My brother focuses and digital 3-D animation and my dad does art on photoshop. He practices on photoshop by taking one of his pencil drawn pieces, scanning it into the computer and then coloring it. He tries all different kinds of techniques. He'll spend maybe 10 hours pencil drawing and then he'll spend up to 100 hours on his digital piece. The stuff he comes up with is incredible. It's all imaginary, but it looks so real. His technique is to stare at a piece of wood until he sees an image in it, then he draws it. Then he elaborates on it.

I know one work he has like 20 computer versions of the same pencil drawing. Each one with over 100 hours in it, and each extremely unique and beautiful.

I hope some of these ideas rub off on you. I know that he improved immensely with these simple techniques. Just play, play, play. Yes, he has a tablet, with stylus.
<<

indi1288

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Nice job for a mouse!
Can just be picky about what you wrote though because in my opinion having studied graphic design and now studying digital art they are 2 hugely different things (kinda the same as well but that just complicates things), you said you wanted to be a graphic designer but what I'm seeing here is digital art and if you prefer drawing these sort of things then do that don't put yourself into a graphic design category. I'm just saying this because that's what I did I kinda studied graphic design thinking it was going to be digital art and I was disappointed because there are huge differences between the two. By all means you can do both and you proverbially know the differences but just in case I thought I'd let you know what I thought.
Sorry for such a long babbling message but If I didn't say anything I wouldn't top thinking about it.
once again nice drawing you'll be amazed at how much difference a tablet makes!!
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, get wasted all the time to have the time of your life!

Return to Digital Art