[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - how to draw an unseeable outline
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

how to draw an unseeable outline

Moderator: duey

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:11 pm

how to draw an unseeable outline

I am not sure if that is an fitting title for the forum, but i diden't know how to say it best.

So, my question is, how to do an outline, the right profile of a person, or general in a portrait best, when the draft is very unexact. Blurry, or when a lot of shadows are all over the place.

Since i am drawing i tried to draw this photo 3 times and i always failed, because i diden't get the outlines right, and NOW i don't want to give up again. It is one of my favorite pics of all time, so there as to be a way.... [-o<

Here is my example ( or problem):
Photo:

Outline of my drawing so far:

Please study both a while.......
So i don't want to hear, that something is not looking right or weird, that is not gonna help...i would like to know what the best way for you is, to copy the outlines right, without really seeing them.... the main parts which are in focus are black and the form of the eye and mouth (of her) are very unclear.

....it is really difficult for me to formulate what kind of help i need. :? Do you have any idea what i mean? :D
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: how to draw an unseeable outline

It has to be the same flesh tone,so no dark lines.

It looks like a bad photoshop version with the dark nose area.Good luck with this..wouldn't be one i would choose though.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 am

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 am

I think you have enough tonal changes in the photo to make it work,whether it comes out to your expectation is another matter :)
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

<<

Alasdair

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:54 am

Can I just say, I think the drawing will always look correct if you follow the tones and shadows correctly, when I draw, I only focus on where the tone is and how dark it is and try to copy that, the face will build itself, I only use outlines as a guide to where the shadows are, I do not outline faces, eyes, mouth etc, I only outline the shadows.

The image you have has a decent tonal scale so it should be fine to use, my only concern with an image like that is if the light source from both images that have been photoshopped is from the same direction. It may look odd if you have an image that has one person with a light source from above and and one person with a light source from the left.

I generally use pen and ink to draw as I prefer this with the cross hatching technique but I use the same principles to build up the form that can be seen in the ugo monye drawing, I only drew one outline and regretted it later because I did it in pen :( you can probably see where that is if you look at the image.
But this a pencil sketch I did with the same formula of only concentrating on tone and it seems to work for me.

This is only how I work though, I have to admit I am not as good at faces as most the people on here so I would love to know what they think.

Here is also picture of a dog I drew and you can faintly see how I have outlined all the shadows (sorry about the quality, it is a phone pic)

Sorry this has taken up so much room, would love to know what you guys think.
My Cross Hatching Tutorial and Website: http://darkdesigngraphics.co.uk/cross-hatching-tutorial
See how I work on Youtube: http://youtube.com/user/DarkDesignGraphics
Like my page on Facebook: http://facebook.com/DarkDesignGraphics

I love Art! :D
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Alasdair@
Thanks for your reply. :)
I always need to see the correct outlines before a start. I don't need to draw the outline so correct, but i kind of need to see it. And i always have trouble with portraits where main features of the face get swalloed by shadows.

And i think my photo is a beautiful draft for a drawing, no question...just her mouth and eye are so hard to catch.
And it is ONE photo, not two photoshoped pics together. So the light is absolutly correct.

And to your drawings, i like the start of the dog, it looks very good. You should submit the process in the drawing folder, i guess there you would get more feedback.

And to the first topic, i think the fewest artists work without outlines. At least there has to be a simple shape. Of the whole object or the part you start with.
<<

abestine

Pro
Pro

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm

wat d great cross-hatching master said is wat u needed. If u observe the photo very well, u'll c dat the light is comin 4rm d left, making d first person's skin lighter than d other. The skin tone difference is wat u need 2 follow. Can't wait 2 c ur final work
<<

Alasdair

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:36 pm

My Cross Hatching Tutorial and Website: http://darkdesigngraphics.co.uk/cross-hatching-tutorial
See how I work on Youtube: http://youtube.com/user/DarkDesignGraphics
Like my page on Facebook: http://facebook.com/DarkDesignGraphics

I love Art! :D
<<

N.Banks1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:35 pm

So I am assuming your not using grid as a tecnique?

Also if you are free handing your reference where is it that you usually start when you are drawing the picture?

It looks like you did pretty well with the drawing you are showing us you did. Just have to add the tones. I look at your drawing and your reference picture and even the position of the eyes and angles all look good to me.
If they wouldn't of done......what I told em not to do, they'd still be alive.
<<

Sketch_Artist

Brand New Member

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm

I only use outlines to make sure my proportions look correct for adding my value.

Alasdair,

I like your style for adding values and it's very similar to mine. Sometimes things just come out better when you don't have an outline to go by; it comes out looking more natural. And I completely agree your statement about the face building itself. Sometimes you're drawing won't look right until you're near completion. At first it may just appear to be random values and contours, but if you keep at it the detail will come to and the image will resolve.
Learn How to Draw - "Learn! Draw! Share!" - Artist Community
The Sketchbook Artist website -
Follow Me on Twitter @Sketch_Artist

Return to Art Tutorials