[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - How to start a drawing
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to start a drawing

Moderator: duey

<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:28 pm

How to start a drawing

I am sorry if this was asked before but I can't really find anything that is helping me.
My question is how do you start? Do you start with the line drawing or just go?
I can't seem to figure out how to pull a line drawing out of a detailed drawing I guess would be the best way to put it.
For example. The dog portrait I did a few weeks ago came from a book that took me step by step and the first picture was a line drawing like so:

That made it pretty easy to draw because I was able to follow steps.
Now when I did my drawing for my moms birthday I used picnik and sorta edited it and made a pencil drawing stencil like so:

Now that doesn't help me as much but it sorta makes me see the outline. I Just want to know how you guys pull the outline of a drawing. MIght be a stupid question but its something I can't figure out how to do. I hope this all made sense. Thanks for helping.

-Caitlin
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:54 am

Re: How to start a drawing

Caitlin,It's down to the individual,we all work in different ways.
I normally grid and then start with the easiest defined area,normally the eyes,and then i charge all over the place...no control.
Also you need the BEST reference picture possible,same as the dog pic both need grid work
Caitlin,can you do me a favour...i have trouble with my eyes and find it very difficult to read your posts with that colour :(
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Astro Zombie

Addicted
Addicted

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I guess I just have to figure it out and practice.

No problem. Im just used to using purple on all the other forums I am on. But there backgrounds are all black and not gray so it is easier to read on them. I Just like changing the color. Do you want me to change the color or just not use color at all?
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/

Return to Art Tutorials