[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - How to draw hair
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to draw hair

Moderator: duey

<<

CoreyS

Brand New Member

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:16 am

How to draw hair

Hi guys,

Brand new to this forum so hi everyone!

Just for a bit of FYI, I have just started up drawing, and when I say 'just' I mean about a week. I've always enjoyed drawing but have never thought about taking it more seriously until now. At the minute I'm attempting to draw an eye (if anyone wants I could post a WIP) just to get me a bit further in my skill range.

To cut to the chase, the main thing I don't understand, or plain and simple can't do, is hair! I've seen some tutorials but I just don't get it and the step by step of the tutorial seems to go from a simple outline to fairly in depth and accurate shading, which is a big jump for me!

So if anybody can shine some light on this subject then please do so.

Thanks in advance
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 am

Re: How to draw hair

Hi Corey,
If you just started one week ago, I would probably practice doing just parts of the face for now.
that's assuming you are drawing just portraits.

Most people who start out drawing, tend to find the hair difficult (myself included).
But I found that as my attention to detail when drawing the face became more acute, the more detailed the hair became too.
So just like drawing the face, the more often you do it the better you become.

A FEW POINTS
(1) I would say the most valuable lesson I learnt, about drawing hair, was to treat it as another drawing.
What I mean is, I often come back to the drawing after finishing the face to do the hair the next day.
A fresh look at what I have done, helps to see what I need to do.
The hair is a different technique to the skin of the face, so you can get into a different flow(if that makes sense :? )

(2) Shadows on the hair line are very important to create a realistic drawing.
The hair needs to have smooth transition into/onto the scalp.

(3)I use an eraser to pick out highlights.
Hair has to have highlights, even black hair can have very bright highlights and still be seen as black hair.
You can use various types of eraser, depending on the effect you want.
I tend to use stick erasers generally, cut to create a sharp edge.
But experiment, and see what suits.

(4)Flow and Grace
Sweeping strokes for capturing the flow of the hair.
Try to use the natural arc of your hand, and keep you pencil strokes going in one direction.
This will create a more natural look as you go into and out of highlighted areas.

I think I could go on all day, but I won't.
Haha, I started here a year ago, and listen to me...going on like I know something. :roll:

Anyway, hope this helps, lets see some work.

Welcome to the forum. :)

<<

CoreyS

Brand New Member

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks for the reply :D

I think I'll take your advice about concetrating on the other features of the face first before trying to tackle the hair.

Yes, treating it as another drawing does make sense, I can see how it is easy to get into a rhythm of just drawing smooth skin etc and a break between them could help.

One thing I have been using on my drawing is blended circulism, would this apply to hair? Or is another technique better suited? Or no blending at all? It just seems to me that my hair looks like flat, dull lines in one drawing then just shadows in another. I guess though, as you said, the more attention to detail I can learn the better it is going to get.

But again, thanks a lot for your tips, they are greatly appreciated.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 am

Good advice Carl,Hi Corey,
Circulism for skin normally,unless you're me:D
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

CoreyS

Brand New Member

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 am

Hi Russ,

So just circulism for skin it is! How would I go about the hair then? As it's not just lines that makes it up is it?
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 am