[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Best ways to learn how to draw?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Best ways to learn how to draw?

Moderator: duey

<<

ziggy455

Brand New Member

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Best ways to learn how to draw?

What are the best techniques? Drawing from reference? Looking in books?

Post your best techniques and ways to learn. :)
<<

shabbysketchpad

Brand New Member

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Best ways to learn how to draw?

Hi ziggy...
I'm a newbie trying my hand on art. Usually I just doodle lines, swirls and stick figures. But currently I've been trying to take drawing seriously. I used some tutorials in this forum like drawing from reference using grid. Still haven't mastered the technique yet, though. It's only been a few weeks. :) After a few months, I'll try posting the result here.
<<

qwerty5757575

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 am

practice makes perfect. use your imagination most important, whatever you do do NOT look at reference pictures because you could get used to it and not know how to draw without one. i mean its ok once in a while to draw a quick crappy drawing with a ref picture but art comes from the h'art. draw what your imagination tells you to. practice practice practice. looking forward to seeing some of your drawings soon :)
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:26 pm

<<

qwerty5757575

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:59 am

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 am

Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

qwerty5757575

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 pm

qwerty,Watch your manners
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

qwerty5757575

Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:28 pm

you know what i apolagize for this argument in fact we should both apolagize and just forget about this stupid argument deal?
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:02 pm

dont want to join a fight but i dont see any of your drawings in any of your posts :?
my da
<<

drawchu

Brand New Member

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:47 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087477 ... 0874774195

I learned drawing from this book:
The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence
Betty Edwards

check my drawing tutorial :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6on697fMNs

check out my drawings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaN8BRNh-1U
<<

rockstardeepu38

Brand New Member

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 pm

|
<<

VTPete

Brand New Member

Post Fri May 06, 2011 3:02 pm

To me, art is about evoking an emotion. To that end, I really don't care how the art was made.

I've found the best way to draw is to take it one step at a time. For example, learning how to get your drawing's proportions correct is a very different matter then learning how to control what charcoal does on a piece of paper. Treat these tasks an individual steps that you need to learn.

Mastering when to use line vs shading, etc. takes time and ultimately is what makes your style YOU. So, copy people's work to get a feel for the technique, but don't be afraid to make your own style.

Check out my new post on using my Camera Lucida App for the iPhone or iPad to help you get your drawing going. I wrote it for myself because no such thing existed. I worried for a long time that I was "cheating", but that's just me being dumb. Maxfield Parish was known to project images on a wall to get his paintings started. :)

-Pete
<<

Alasdair

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:54 am

I believe at the end of the day you can draw how or from what you want, that is the point of art is it not. I use reference photos because I would die If I had to sit outside the cathedral in the North East of England for however many hours to draw it. I also draw faces from photos but often practice drawing my own face in a mirror as I think you can learn a lot form that. Life drawing is a great way to improve and learn. But being creative is a must! lol
My Cross Hatching Tutorial and Website: http://darkdesigngraphics.co.uk/cross-hatching-tutorial
See how I work on Youtube: http://youtube.com/user/DarkDesignGraphics
Like my page on Facebook: http://facebook.com/DarkDesignGraphics

I love Art! :D
<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:46 pm

best way to learn is to draw, maybe thats an obvious one. But you need sources to draw from as well. I think drawing from life and drawing from the imagination are both important. Im a slacker at drawing from life so I wont say too much about that, but if you can do life drawing (drawing a model) anywhere near you I would make that a routine, it is really a great way to learn how to draw the human figure. Usually there is some organization or other that organizes life drawing so I recommend to check that out.

Sources for drawing from the imagination are movies, other artists etc. so I recommend that you start building a library of drawings and illustrations you like. YOu will learn tons from just looking at them and studying them.

Some illustrators I would recommend just because their sketches and pencil work is so outstanding:

Alan Lee
Jean-Baptiste Monge

you can just type "sketch art" into google image search and you will already get tons of sketches, and in there you will find some great ones.
Next

Return to Art Tutorials