[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - What to learn first
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What to learn first

Moderator: duey

<<

Speyki

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: What to learn first

thanks zach, amazings tutorials, especially the skin tutorial, but you posted that one twice and no hair tutorial ; )

Uploaded with
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:12 pm

my bad ill repost the hair
my da
<<

Speyki

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm

thanks zach,

Can someone give me some tips for the outlining?

Uploaded with
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:43 pm

my da
<<

Speyki

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Zach.. I love you man :lol: :^o
no rally, thanks for al the good information,

one more question about the outlining though, which specific lines do you draw

Uploaded with
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:21 pm

for the outlines i draw from top to bottom drawing. the edge of the face and all of the main points eyes, nose, mouth, hair and some of the main highlights and lowlights. two good tutorials are
tut 1.

tut.2.

they both came from the same website which has some very informative tutorials if you want to check them out
my da
<<

jeromerookie

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:22 am

Hello
I've just read your message to start drawing. It is very important to start with a subject you like (face, animal, still life ...) because you will need to spend a few hours on it ;-)
You can have a look on my site wich is proposing . You have different subjects and mediums (Graphite, Acrylic, Ballpoint pen, Red Chalk).
I wish you the best by drawing.
Jerome
I'm the founder of a french that I'm trying to launch it in the US. But it seems like US visitors have problem to see it. So please have a look and give me your feedback.
<<

Zink

Amateur
Amateur

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:43 pm

I have heard that a bunch of art classes will want you to draw basic shapes (boxes, apples, oranges etc...) and work with shading and texture to near perfection. Which in a sense makes it a good starting point. There are not too many factors/details when it comes to objects like those. When it comes to a portrait, a car, motorcycle, pet there are a lot more details at stake that need to be achieved to pull off the realistic look. A box, opened or not is a nice flat surface drawing, where simple dimensions and shading is all it takes. After a few of those until your are impressed with what you have done you can add another box to the equation, or an apple sitting on top or inside. A keen eye to detail is a great goal. The greatest thing to keep in mind is not to get discouraged, even if you don't see progress. Practice makes perfect and you will always contradict your pieces no matter how skilled you are. It is how we learn and advance. I feel as if I am rambling now... Way too much coffeeeeeeee
'Look, it's my misery that I have to paint this kind of painting, it's your misery that you have to love it, and the price of the misery is thirteen hundred and fifty dollars. '
<<

Speyki

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 am

Hey, thanks for the useful tips everyone,
after some small trial drawings I made my first real Drawing :

Uploaded with

(it's is a little but blurred because of bad photo camera)

please comment,

Speyki

Uploaded with
<<

shabbysketchpad

Brand New Member

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 am

Hi all,
Would you mind giving some tips about using grid? I'm a complete beginner who usually just doodled. I'd like to move forward to some serious drawing.
For beginner photo sketching, would using smaller grid (about 1 cm) better than larger grid? I used stick figure like for drawing manga character and the result wasn't good. Kind of skewed like.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:25 am

Here you go shabby
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3372
This is one method,not the way i do it though,if you use a printer then you need to grid the reference picture and the paper you will draw on,use a 6h pencil to grid your drawing paper...i use 1" squares,others prefer smaller.
Make sure you have a starting point for the grid (Datum)and always be meticulous as possible,don't press to hard on your paper..indentation is not good.
If no printer is available,then there is a programme you can use for your PC screen.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Speyki

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 am

what I did was making a grid in excel, print it a few times, then put it in a plastic envelope, and carefully draw the grid with a permanent marker on the envelope,

so now I just put the picture I want do draw in the envelope and I always have the correct grid

Uploaded with
<<

funker

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 am

Best way to start drawing is don't render right away…just relax with light strokes. Once you've got the whole composition on paper, decide on where the source of light is and where the shadowy areas are, then be brave and just do it with a gradient effect (dark lines to lighter tones).
<<

shabbysketchpad

Brand New Member

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Thank you for the link, Russ.
I tried using grid to draw photo, but had a slight difficulty erasing the grid lines because I drew on the same paper as the grid. My mistake. :oops:
Maybe I should use different papers for the grid and the drawing, but how? Drawing paper isn't see-through and I don't have tracing table. :?
<<

Speyki

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Uploaded with
PreviousNext

Return to Art Tutorials