[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Need help: How to draw dark shadows on skin?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need help: How to draw dark shadows on skin?

Moderator: duey

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:11 am

Need help: How to draw dark shadows on skin?

Hello

This is my first post. I was looking for a simliar topic, but i could not find one.

My problem is, i have a portrait with a black shadow on one side. I started with the shadow and todally messed it up. It looks like burned or whatever. I know how to do small shadows or light shadows on skin, but when they are todally black i never get them to look like a black shadow on skin.

Drawing

Original

It is a pity that i messed it up, because i got the propotions of the face right.

But maybe someone could help me out and explain how to shade black shadows on skin!

Thanks in advance.
<<

wilko

Brand New Member

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 am

Re: Need help: How to draw dark shadows on skin?

What I would try is to first get the 'form' of the face first, then apply detail (skin) as required.

To achieve the dark, well that depends on how dark? lets say you what dark but not black.
With a 4B, very lightly start in the dark arears and move toward the light areas. You should be still trying to have the pencil show the form (curvature) of the face. Building up layers of graphite in the dark areas,
Where the shadow starts to come into the light, with say a 2B, still with light pressure, overlap some of the 4B moving to the light. Build up layers of tone, slowly! Keep repeating this process until you get to say HB or H, whatever the light skin tone is.

I have not mentioned the strokes to use - that could be a combination of hatching, cross-hatching or circurlarism etc

If the skin is smooth, try using a few layers of 'normal' tissue over a finger and very lightly blending from the 'light to the dark'. This shall smooth the surface. Note this shall remove graphite, so you may have to put more down.

Shame I couldn't see a picture to explain etc

Goodluck

Andrew
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:44 am

<<

wilko

Brand New Member

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:49 am

Hi Xartist, unfortunitly I can't see the image so I can't comment on what you have to achieve.

However, "...try and draw what you see NOT what you think you see". This took we quite a while to really understand and it takes a lot of looking/searching when doing a drawing. When you really understand the "form" (shape) of what you are drawing you can then see what to draw.

Goodluck

Andrew
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:02 am

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:12 am

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 am

So here we go, that is what i made out of my messed up left side. I am very pleased with the result, i never tried a scribble portrait before.
The only thing i made smooth and realistic are the eyes.

What do you think?

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:32 pm

<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Okay, that is really black. Normal 9B pencil?
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:23 pm

<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 pm

One thing I've noticed is that paper plays a big role in getting down a solid dark tone. For instance, you can almost never get solid black on a piece of computer paper or a rough textured paper. I suggest using a heavy hot press water color paper. These types of paper are generally soft as most are cotton based, and do a great job at holding down the graphite. Then it comes down to slowly adding in the dark tone evenly.

If I know that a dark area is going to be completely black with no blending, I'll cheat and use a bit of mars black acrylic paint. The problem with this is that if you use too much it will warp the paper, and blending it is nearly impossible. It's a good trick though to save a bit of time if you use it properly.

And for the skin tones on your David D portrait, yes those darks tones on his face do blend in with his skin. The blend is subtle, and there no the less. It takes time to see these and develop a skill to accurately portray them.
<<

Xartist

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:42 am

<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:14 am

if you want black black try black acrylic paint and a charcoal pencil
Paint area you want black black then go over it with a charcoal pencil 4b
this removes the glare from the graphite too:)

Im trying this right now with a project Im working on (All good so far)
Feeling like a freak on a leash.
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:40 am

i read somewhere that for a a good darke black shadow on a skin you can smear graphite powder on it than blend it with a brush. i think i read that on this forum for the i can feel you thinking tread :D
my da

Return to Art Tutorials