FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Advice for a stuck (wannabe) artist?

Moderator: duey

<<

Morrosseth

Brand New Member

Post Sun May 16, 2010 12:15 am

Advice for a stuck (wannabe) artist?

I'd love to draw graphic novels or comic strips. I have wonderful ideas and just now I tried to draw something. It sucked. I'm not new to drawing, but every time I attempt something I'm horrified at the stuff I draw. I can't draw a face without it being out of porportion or too wide/too narrow too big here/too small there, just plain awkward looking. Like something a five year old drew. In short it looks awful. So then I don't draw for a while. So I don't practice. So I don't improve. Then when I try to practice I get upset because it stinks etc. etc.
How can I get rid of this problem? :(
<<

arje06

Brand New Member

Post Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Advice for a stuck (wannabe) artist?

I remember my elementary art teacher when he taught me how to create eyes that look cool. There are two ways: include a point of light in the eyeball for realistic results and create eyes that are looking into different directions by moving the eye to the opening of the eyelid. These are just some tips from my teacher.
Anyways, the link http://www.radicalman.com/tips/main.htm will teach us how to draw a perfect art.
Last edited by arje06 on Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Phan-Tom

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:29 am

Have you considered purchasing, or checking out from a library, a book about how to draw comic book super heroes type drawing.
http://books.google.com/books?id=tfCrMX ... &q&f=false
My DA: http://phan-tom.deviantart.com/
Feeling sorry for those critics who talk nonsense in the hope of appearing well-informed.
<<

guyguyxtreme

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 am

Dragoart.com is definitely very good for cartoony drawings. I reccomend it, even if it isn't my style of drawing... It has around five-thousand tutorials, and obviously you won't find all of them useful, but a lot will help. But believe me, you can improve! I could barely draw a stick figure a month ago, and now I am one of the best artists in my class. But, art like most things has to be practiced, but fortunately practicing art isn't as boring a practicing, say a musical instrument.
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 pm

somebodys doing some digging.but i think it was just a spammer these are real old post and the guy who did the post never did post anything else. i dont think hell be back for any advice on the subject though :D
<<

Morrosseth

Brand New Member

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey, you never know. :D
Honestly I forgot about posting here until I got the notification but I will definately check that site out, thanks!
<<

zach97

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Morrosseth wrote:Hey, you never know. :D
Honestly I forgot about posting here until I got the notification but I will definately check that site out, thanks!
cool welcome back continoe with drawing hope to see you back in the drawing game and some of your drawings :D
<<

EnchantedBike

Brand New Member

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 pm

You need CONFIDENCE!

You got to try to like your own stuff, and like your improvement. You WILL NOT be on this level FOREVER, so there is no point to judge yourself (and let others judge you) by your current skills!

You know inside you have the passion for this. That is what matters. If you keep going and dont let anything stop you, you will be able to express this passion more and more and develop your own style!

This was a lesson Ive learned myself the long, frustating way...Im doing my best today to always like what I do even if it sometimes look kinda silly=) The more I like what I do no matter what, the faster Ill improve, becouse its FUN!

Take care of your mind, and keep going!! You know you got it!
<<

jan

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 am

I would say that, no matter how hard it is, you have to try not to be critical to the point were you get depressed about drawing. If you start hating it then you wont do it and if you dont do it you wont improve. THats for the bad news, the good news is that no matter what your drawings look like now, you will improve if you keep drawing regularly - that is a 100 % fact. I stopped drawing for many years because I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere and that everyone else was much better than I was. About 6 months ago I started drawing again and have been doing it on a regular basis and I can really notice that I am constantly improving. SO the thing is to find the right mindset and to have some patience.

Also, there is a wealth of books around on drawing which will help you immensely, I learned more from books than from years at university. Even if you cant be bothered to read instructions and theories in the books you will learn by just looking at the drawings in them. I cant really think of a specific book on drawing comic/graphic novel type stuff so I would recommend just hoarding images from the comic artists you like - while you do that you wil also stumble on new artists and it will be awesome.

Alan Moore's "from hell" is something I would recommend for sure because the art in it is insane. Its basically pen and ink, black and white but you can really get a lot out of it. CAnt remember who the actual illustrator on that one was.

Return to Art Tutorials