[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Rim drawing tutorial
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rim drawing tutorial

Moderator: duey

<<

david10072

Brand New Member

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Rim drawing tutorial

First of all, start with inner rim and outer rim. Detect them on the reference picture. I sketch the line lightly with H pencil. Take your time to get the proportion correct. This progress takes time and patience. Usually, the inner rim, outer rim and the tire are corresponded to each other, which mean they keep the same distance. The color lines are there to show you they keep the same distance throughout the rim. If you could keep the same distance, then you would have a corresponded rim lines. Click on individual image to enlarge.

Then I added the center of the rim. It should again correspond to the tire. I used H pencil, really light sketch.
Next I drew the spokes of the rim. This progress takes a lot of patience. Again I used H pencil to do a quick sketch on the spokes. Draw what you see, there are usually a pattern on the spokes, look closely at your reference picture.
Be confident when drawing spokes, you want it to be realistic. So you have to put time and effort into it.
Then I start to shade the “outer rim" with 2B, H, 4H pencil. Remember to draw what you see, not what you think. Detect the darkest tone and lightest. In between those two, there are mid tones. Those thin lines, you need good hand control to get it. Those tiny lines make your wheel look realistic. So keep on trying to get it right.
Then I filled in the darkest place in the rim with 4B and 8B pencil, which is inside the rim. (Where you can't normally see on a wheel.)
I fill in the reflection and shades on the inner rim. I did it with H 2B and 4H because they are sharper for details.
Again detect details, don't skip it. Details are essential for realism.
After the inner rim, I start to shade my spokes with H and 4H. Detect any highlight and shadow on the spokes, and try to draw it. It will make your rim realistic.
After that, I drew the cap of the rim. I used 4B, HB, and 6H.
6H for the details. in the middle of the rim.
I also used eraser to pick out the highlight, which is the tiny white line. After you pick up those white line, lay down some 4H on it. So it's not just white, it will have a tone.

After you spent some time with the rim, it should look something like this.
Hope this will help you guys on drawing rims.
Thank you for reading this tutorial.
Leave a comment to tell me what you think about this. :bounce:

PS: You are welcome to give me some more advises

© David Kao, 2010
http://www.kaorenderings.com
<<

Brendan

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Rim drawing tutorial

Thanks for posting your tutorial - I'm sure lots of people will find it helpful ! :D

That's an awesome looking GT-R !
Some kid slammed one into a bank around here last summer - he still had his learner's permit !
More money than brains I guess .... :lol:
<<

MadisE

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:43 am

Great tutorial =D>
Absolutely love the drawing.
Nice to see another fan of cars and motor-related topics :D
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 am

That's a great tutorial! I just use a grid and drafting guides to do my ellipses. This will come in very handy if I ever decide to free hand some rims!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

rusd3

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Great tutorial! It almost looks as though I can open the door and drive the car away.
<<

richardb

Brand New Member

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 am

A great step by step tutorial the wheels look as though James Cameron created them, totally 3d. Loved the overrall effect thanks. :D
<<

DreamCream

Brand New Member

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:06 am

if you didnt put a tutorial I'd think it was a real photo
<<

DreamCream

Brand New Member

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Image :lol: lol