[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Drawing an Apple
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drawing an Apple

Moderator: duey

<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 pm

Drawing an Apple

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post my progress in drawing an apple. I thought this would be the best place for it since its kind of like a tutorial.
I'm new to colored pencils and i'm still figuring out the medium so any pointers or techniques are welcome. I seperated everything by color since it would make things easier.
For materials I used Prismacolored pencils on bristol board.

I started with the outline (this is alot darker than what I drew since it was really hard to see)

Then I used an indigo blue to add the darker shades. All the colors should be added lightly to build up the color...this usually takes a bit of time but its worth it in the end.

Then I used a cool grey to add further shadow to the apple. I also went over all the indigo blue.

Then I added tuscan red to the shadows on the apple

Next I added Spanish Orange to the center bottom.

Well this is as far as I've gotton and I hope to finish soon. Questions as to why I used specific colors or anything really are welcome.
~"The act of drawing alone makes you an artist..."~ Nick Meglin

http://bravoc-88.deviantart.com/gallery/
<<

brotherobin

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:56 pm

I like that. How long have you been drawing?
"Stop it, you're spoiling the whole invasion."
<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:32 pm

I've been drawing seriously for about 7-8 months.

Well here's the rest of the apple...

here I added yellowed orange lightly avoiding the white spots

Same thing as before but now with Poppy Red

I started burnishing with Crimson Red from the right and lightening the pressure as I go left. Also define the edge with a very shard point on the right of the apple

Same thing as before with Poppy Red

Burnish the white spot with white

Add more poppy red taking care to blend into the white

lightly add olive green, sand, and cream to the top of the apple and blend with a colorless blender (or white)

at this stage you may notice all the lines from the burnishing. Simply take some tissue paper fold it up into a thick point and "shine" your apple. Careful with the edges. You'll see your apple get smooth and shiny.

lightly add sepial and light umber to the stem

Now with terra cotta and burnt toucsan burnish the stem.

Now the apple is finished....time for the shadow

add poppy red very lightly to the shadow

Using Cool Grey 70% add a circular shadow at the bottom. Then add Cool Grey 20% going lighty toward the top. Finally burnish with white and the apple is complete!

This whole process took me about 4 hours to complete so take your time.

<<

cold shiva

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:50 pm

I think you did an fantastic job on the apple. I think the trick you use first black/white or 1 colour and the reshade up with multi-colour is a very good one. I also think for the final points, you could use light green/yellow a bit stronger at the crown (where that branch comes in the cone), where it goes inwards. I also think to add some brown/grey grey stripes there to break the perfect green/yellow flow, cause in real life it is also broken. Creating this I think, will also give an extra jump out to your shining part. Also I think you should dare those very randomized "apple points", to make it imperfect - perfect. Edge that little branch a bit I think. I think what you're producing is very nice. I also think for a drawing like this, you're quite fast! 8) :D .
<<

brotherobin

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:15 pm

That's hot!
"Stop it, you're spoiling the whole invasion."
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:29 pm

Sorry I didn't comment on this sooner!! This is really awesome! And it's really cool that you shared with us the steps that you took to make this. It's really interesting to see how other people work. You did ALOT of layering here. Beautiful work.
<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:08 pm

<<

JCR3WS

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 pm

<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 am

Can you post a link for it? There's not alot of colored pencil pieces here and I like to look at other people's work to see their techniques.

<<

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm

This is really indeed very beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us!
I'm not a good artist, but i'm good at pretending to be one...

My DA: http://lordavatarz.deviantart.com/
<<

twilight

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Return to Art Tutorials