[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Drawing Miss Jolie (images ot be added)
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drawing Miss Jolie (images ot be added)

Moderator: duey

<<

i prefer nintendo 2 girls

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:53 am

Drawing Miss Jolie (images ot be added)

PLEASE DONT COMMENT

THIS TUTORIAL IS NOT COMPLETE I HAVE IMAGES TO ADD AND I NEED TO WRITE UP THE REST..... TA :D

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, here is a quick tutorial as promised on my Angleina Jolie portrait. Thank you to everyone who asked for a tutorial and to those who have offered advice and support. I hope that this tutorial can be of some help to you.

I have split the tutorial into 4 sections in order to break it down for anyone wishing to follow it.

If anyone has any questions or wants specific advice or instructions please do not hesitate to email or PM me.

Thanks, Dave
Last edited by i prefer nintendo 2 girls on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
<<

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:54 am

EQUIPMET

Here is a list of the equipment that I used for my portrait. I have photographed the exact equipment that I have used and on a rough calculation think it will cost around £25.00 which is a small investment for drawing kit and hours of enjoyment. I expect however that by reading this you already have some kit of your own.

In some cases I have stated the specific brand I have used (UK) or I can supply details of where to get equipment from.

Sorry if this seems a little fussy but I have had people asking what specific equipment I use, so here it is :D

BLENDING

Cotton Buds – Tesco ‘My baby’
Tortilions - Assorted sizes.
Tissue – Handy Wipes

PENCILS

Derwent – Graphic Designer (6b – 4h) I only used from 2h – 6b
Derwent – 7b
Mechanical pencil with 0.5 HB leads

ERASERS

Maped – Zenoa circulat – Tesco
Maped – Softy – Tesco
Maped – Eclipse Square – Tesco
Maped – Eclipse Triangular – Tesco
Faber Castel – Grip 2001
Jakar – Battery operated eraser pen
Daler Rowney- putty eraser

PAPER

Goldline

I believe after reading the descriptions on Duey’s art that this is very similar to the very smooth Strathmoor Bristol Board.

MISCELANEOUS

Ref: http://www.visualpharm.com/wallpaper/an ... 24x768.jpg

A large watercolour brush (never been used for paint) for removing eraser debris or a make up blusher brush.
Last edited by i prefer nintendo 2 girls on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
David.
<<

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:54 am

SKIN

Using Etienne’s advice I only used a small selection of pencils for her skin 2H – 2B, I used mainly HB.

Starting out in the top left hand corner if you are right handed (vice versa for lefties), lay out some very faint tone using the HB Mechanical pencil. Only just touch the surface of the paper very lightly and use cross hatching. Consider your reference and look at how the light catches the skin. Now blend with a cotton bud, don’t be disheartened if the tone looks a little messy at this stage.

Now blend over the tone you have laid down using a clean piece of tissue.

Matching the tones on your reference to that of your pencils, e.g., 2h for the light areas, 2b or the darks shade in using very small circles. I always work up to the 2b using harder grades first.

Cotton bud over the tones you have just laid down and use a tissue to blend between the changes in tone and eliminate any harsh pencil marks.

Now look closely at the reference. Notice how the skin is covered in tiny highlights and lowlights. Skin is not smooth and you will need to add these subtle differences in to your drawing.

Take your putty rubber and break off a small piece, just enough to get between your thumb and index finger nails. It may also help if you ‘warm up’ the putty fist between your fingers to make it softer.

Now dab off the highlights and take your time. Don’t be afraid to remove layers of pencil, the page can take it of you are delicate enough. If you want to remove lots of pencil layers don’t try and do it all in one go, but dab away a bit at a time.

Now use a clean sharp torilion to blend over the skin using a circular motion.

If you find that there is too much contrast between a light and dark area together cross hatch over the two areas using a hard pencil (say a 2h) very carefully. Use a tissue to blend between the two and it will come together. This works very effectively.

Try and think of how the image will look as a whole and remember the anatomy of what you are drawing. The forehead is very hard to touch where as the nose is softer. So use softer pencil strokes to convey the nose. Also look at the hard line of the cheekbones and how the skin almost hangs off the bones underneath. Don’t be afraid to feel the texture of your own skin, skin is after all what you are trying to render.

Someone asked about the nose. I marked it out using the HB mechanical pencil very lightly. I used very small circular motions rather than lines. I then applied a sharp 2b to the darker areas before adding the highlights.

Once the skin is drawn consider how the work looks as a whole, and remove any harsh lines with a tissue.
David.

Return to Art Tutorials