dbeck's CP Tutorial

Moderator: duey

<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 pm

dbeck's CP Tutorial

Sorry I don't know how to make a link so this might take a couple of pages. Here is the reference pic. I picked a part of the car that has all different shades. I pretty much use the same technique for skin tone, just obviously different colors.
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Step 1
I like to lay down the parts that are gonna be lighter first.
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Step 2
Then the dark areas. ( make dark areas pretty dark) I used black.
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Step 3
Then I go over both the white highlights and black with the base color of blue. If you have really bright white reflections DON'T go over those spots. You wanna keep them bright white!
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Step 4
This is gonna be the next few steps combined. This is where I would start rotating white and blue back and forth blending to try and get the finished glossy look. Remeber don't go over those bright spots with blue!
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:46 pm

<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Step 5 or so
This would be close to the finished product. I might do a little more blending though. With a sharp pencil point of whatever color you need will be able to give you some of the fine details you want to add.
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 pm

This is the method I use most. ALWAYS keep your bright whites bright!( like in this wheel) And with good colored pencils you should be able to add the fine details after you get the base coat down. Let me know if this helps. I'll make another thread for the skin or just add to this one. Thanks!
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:03 pm

Very interesting. Do you have a particular method for laying down the colors...like circulism? Also what kind of paper are you drawing on.
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Yeah I actually have found that a circular motion makes the blending a lot smoother. But on the first few layers I dont use any particular motion. As far as the paper I don't know, I bought a few pieces awhile ago, but I'm out now so when I go buy more i'll let you know!
<<

krisb781

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 am

Iam having such a hard time getting a sharp point with prismacolor because they break so easily. I've even been 1/2 sharpening them and trying to sand down the rest but I still break the tip 50% of the time. Its so frustrating. I'd also like to know the type of paper you are using.

Also...you use a hard pencil for your sketch right?
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; and a sense of humor to console him for what he is. "
http://krisb781.deviantart.com/
<<

dbeck13

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:34 am

Yeah I think it was H for the outline. I used a grid too. If you have prisma colors you should be able to get white highlights in over dark colors, just start with the very ends of the highlights first with just a little pressure and work your way toward the thicker part. But I know what you mean, its almost impossible to keep a really sharp point.
<<

Griparn

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Nice! Intresting to follow this piece! Btw- what paper do you use? It looks grey to me, make the white stands out!
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 pm

I have a strong feeling this tutorial will be infinitely useful to me when I start getting into CP's, hopefully in the near future! Thanks for all the tips!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

bravoc-88

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:29 pm

krisb781 wrote:Iam having such a hard time getting a sharp point with prismacolor because they break so easily. I've even been 1/2 sharpening them and trying to sand down the rest but I still break the tip 50% of the time. Its so frustrating. I'd also like to know the type of paper you are using.

Also...you use a hard pencil for your sketch right?

Sometimes if the tips keep breaking it's because the lead in the pencil has broken. Usually from dropping them. Also sometimes its the sharpener that breaks them. Sharpeners that use a knife (like the small handhelds) are horrible for colored pencils. The best way to keep your pencils sharp is with an electric sharpener that uses the spiral cutters. I have a small battery powered one that fits in my bag it sharpens so well I barely have to sharpen them at all.
~"The act of drawing alone makes you an artist..."~ Nick Meglin

http://bravoc-88.deviantart.com/gallery/
Next

Return to Art Tutorials