[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - How to Create 'Kaleidoscopic' Pen Drawings
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to Create 'Kaleidoscopic' Pen Drawings

Moderator: duey

<<

Artistverlie

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:14 pm

How to Create 'Kaleidoscopic' Pen Drawings

Here is a brief explanation of how to create a 'Kaleidoscopic' drawing.

You will need 2 pieces of paper...1 to fold and cut creating a stencil...the other paper you will use to trace your stencil onto.
To begin you might want to use pencil but if you're brave a pen will do:).
Be sure your paper to draw on is larger than the one you fold and cut.

OK, fold your paper (for stencil) in half...then fold it in half again in the opposite direction. Notice that you have 2 edges that are on a fold and 2 edges that are not. Cut a design by drawing on your folded paper first ot just randomly cut away sections being careful that you leave something of each folded edge...so that when you open up your stencil it is still in one piece. If you happen to have 2 pieces just match them to each other and tape back together. Below is a sample stencil laid on a colored background for you to see it better.

Now square up your stencil (center it) on your drawing paper and tape it down as much as you need to to trace it. Use artist tape or that blue painters tape as it removes easily without leaving any residue. Trace the entire stencil outside and within each 'cutout' area. Remove tape.

You will now add your linework. Draw a line on the left side from any point to another point. Draw that same line in the same place on the right side (it will be in reverse of course. I usually turn my paper to repeat the line on the opposite side.

Repeat the previous instructions to make a line on the top of the work and match that line by creating it on the bottom of the drawing. You don't need to worry about what linework you make because in the end you will have created a pattern of lines that match from one side to the other and then the top lines will match the bottom. Do as many lines as you care to before coloring the work. I use gel pens but crayons, color pencils or markers will work just as well. Below is a sample of the linework for the stencil above.

Finally the color is matched side to side and then top matches bottom colors. If you'd like to see more of these works you can go to my photobucket site at www.photobucket.com/albums/d193/artistverlie and look in the Kaleidoscopic section. I hope you enjoy this process. If you have any questions just ask! Temember this process could be used for a painting or a quilt design. Kids love to do these too...keeps them busy a long time :) .

Challenge your perceptions...visualize your options!
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:49 pm

This is really cool. I may try one soon. Haha, keeps kids busy for hours ehh?
<<

Artistverlie

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 pm

:D I hope you do give it a try Duey...I find it relaxing because there is no expectation for the final result. It will keep kids busy a long time. Verlie
<<

i prefer nintendo 2 girls

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:22 am

I know someone who will love this, she works with textiles. I am going to print it out and pass it on, i will show you the results when they are completed. So simple and effective.

Thankyou for sharing it
David.
<<

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:24 am

PS, does anyone know where you can get the blue art tape from in the UK? or a brand name i could google/ebay for?
David.
<<

Artistverlie

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:02 am

I will be very excited to see what cloth your friend makes with this process..guaranteed to always be an original design for sure! As for the tape? All you need is tape that is not too sticky...it needs to pull off with the stencil without tearing the drawing. I have used drafting tape before with good results! Thanks for sharing with me!:) Verlie
<<

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:04 am

I made this using spary paint and your method, i didnt fold the paper how you suggested however i used an origami fold to get different symmetry.

I like it.

:D

<<

Artistverlie

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:40 am

Return to Art Tutorials