[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - pop art painting tutorial
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

pop art painting tutorial

Moderator: duey

<<

mad baboon

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:35 pm

pop art painting tutorial

can somone do a popart painting tutorial please because i would like to try it... im not very good at painting and i want to get good at a style so any tips or tutorial's please tell me !!

ps.
not sure if this post should be here so... move it to a more sutable thread if you would like to.
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:07 am

HI
I am working on the cartoon one right now, maybe if no one else does or wants to do it I will write one. So it might be awhile. I love pop-art and it is easyer then you think!
<<

mad baboon

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:21 pm

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:50 am

pop art

Pop art is a very bold style of art that came from Britain in the 50's and later in America.
In a written piece by L.Allowat called "The Arts and the Mass Media" he named it Popular Mass Culture, he was one of the first to "defend" the new art form from critics and even against gallery owners.
He wrote that piece in 1958 and was a huge shock to the art world. The early pop-art was for most people Graffiti! And that style of art never got the reconosion that I think it deserves.

Most pop-art gets it's insparation from things that are big at the time, think of the can of soup by Warhol and Boshier who was in 1937 one of the first to do pop-art in Britain in collages.He was know for the chaped canvases. They drew there themes from comics and comercials and off cource the music at the time. Bold and daring things where about to be born all over the world, graffiti meets the gallery.
Kitsch was THE thing in pop-art, and in great matter stil is. But with its great style and ofter bold colours and themes that speak to most of us, pop-art is a very populair style.

Pop-art is considered to be a style that only they who have studied art can "understand" because of the unconventional and yet organised style. It is one of the last modern art movements.

After the abstract expressionism movement Pop-art had the answer and at first it was classified as Darda and there are some simularities but the satire and destructivenes makes that Pop-art is what it is, a mirror that has been hold up to us to look at. The good and the bad things.

In the 1920's Murphy and Davis started the American style of Pop-art that most of us will reconice as pop-art. They took insparation again from the populair culture and advertising themes.

That Pop-art is not just about painting was proven by Pedro Almodovar in Spain at 1970. His cheap budget movies are still great hits in some circles. I have seen a few of them and they are unique in its own weird and funny way. He used a fake commercial in every movie he made.

As for creating your own pop-art? OOOOHH a great world just opend up for everyone!
I have some great pieces of pop-art that I made when I was younger and I took my art from the streets to paper and canvas. Pop-art let's you be what you want to be, no rules or guidelines!
What most people will tell you when you ask them what is Pop-art, will be the Monroe series. These are done by using paint and Silk screening. I have done that and it is great fun! but takes time and is messy.
Easier would be to use a picture and photoshop. Now I am not a photoshop expert but grant me thy ear and I will try to tell you how to do it!
Open the picture, the go to image, adjustments, and at the bottom there are Invert, Threshold and other options, just mess around with them. I did and gotten this with some extra tinkering.

Painting pop-art.

More to come.....
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:28 pm

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 pm

Pop art part two

Painting or making pop-art can be as simple as glueing a bunch of papers to a sheet of cardboard. But the best know are the paintings of Lichtenstein. The bold figures with the black lines and dots.

Start by drawing out the face and draw no detail like the lines around the eye;s and mouth. We need as few details as we can. Then decide where the light is coming from, the play of the light is most important in this case. Then put those in very thick and with no shading, just black.

Look at the bold lines in the hair and round her hands.
When I paint in this style, I used this style a lot in my times as Graffiti-artist, I like to almost over do those lines with black. The skin is made by drawing a grid over the face and dapple it with dots, but the trick is not to follow the lines of her face. The are like a blanket that was drapped over her face. As for the backgroud, that is most of the time not overdone of done at all. The "thing" on the forground is more important and must not be over shadowd, so keep the backgroud as simple as you can. I tend to pick a color that is bold like blue of red and paint the backgroud that color. You can use the dots or stripes again as an effect.

As for text, I use lettering to make a point or to express my mind. But it is never needed or a golden rule to do so.

Now there are other forms of pop-art. I have tried making a collage of photo's I have taken of my daughter and them making a portat out of those. I have known a man how used stickers wich came from fruit to make paintings with and lest we forget, painting in peanut butter.

The best techniec there is to learn to make great pop-art is by revesing the contrast and paint that! The shadows will become light and the lighter parts become dark. These makes for a great effect.

While painting on a canvas, make the whole background the one color and paint the face on there in a color that realy stands out. Think pink and yellow, or even black and white.
<<

i prefer nintendo 2 girls

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:49 am

I have a degree in screen print and did a series based on POP ART, here are a few - some are just colour proofs so a little rough looking...

I can talk you through my process but its a print based process so i do not know if it would be of much help to you.

If you are intrested in a comic strip style pop image, i think that its importtant to get the viewer to question what has happened before and what is going to happen. They need to make the narrative up for themselves.

C-M colour swatch

C-M-Y-K image

<<

marky

Brand New Member

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: pop art painting tutorial

People seldom notice old clothes if you wear a big smile. ~Lee Mildon | Check my

Return to Art Tutorials