[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Cartoons
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cartoons

Moderator: duey

<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:53 am

Cartoons

Before I start writing and such, I want to know if any one is interested in lessons in making cartoons?
I have been drawing cartoons for years in many forms and for a lot of different media.

here are some of my cartoons.

<<

Bren Gun

Brand New Member

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:33 am

Hey Viking, I'm interested in cartoons. I think I've actually come to the wrong forum/site for it, 'cause it looks like people are doing realistic stuff around here, heheh.
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:11 pm

I think that would be cool to have a cartoon tutorial. I'd like to see it Viking. :)
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:56 pm

I am working on it, my scanner died on me so I am thinking how to post it now.
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:29 pm

This a Beta form of the cartoon tutorial I am writing.
I know there are some spelling mistakes in there, englisch is not my first tonque, and no pictures. They will be on there as soon as I can scan them in.
Please let me know what you are missing. I am now working on the human form of a cartoon

After posting here, asking if there was anyone was interested how to learn to draw cartoons, I was asked to do so.
Not tthat I am the worlds best cartooninst, but I have been making them for years and develloped my own reconezable style that can be tought easely to anyone with eather no skill in drawing and those who can make a Rembrant with there eye's closed!
With some simple steps and things to think about you can make a good looking cartoons.
Cartoons are in it self powefull things, not long a go a simple cartoon in a Scandanavian newspaper caused a outroar across the world. Poilitical cartoons have been a centre of conversation for years.
There is a difference between a cartoon that is on paper and a cartoon that we watch on tv every saterdaymorning while eating Fruit Loops. Cartoons are stationaire and the ons on tv are animations, better yet, cell animations. Different cell that are projected in a fast manner to create a series of movements.
All though I have made those before I will stick for now with a simple one piece cartoon.

There are some basic trhings we are going to need before we can start.
A pencil, some paper are the basics. I have been known to carry these tools around in my backpack to draw while in the car, at MacDonnalds while my six year old is playing there. That can take a while and that creates a good periode of sketching.
I use a simple H2 pencil from any of the bigger stores. You can use any pencil you want as long as it is soft enough to make a light sketch, While making a cartoon there will be a lot of changes on thye road ahead and think lines or engravings from a hard pencil wil show up while shading later on! So make sure you got a nice soft piece of drawing woor. As for paper, again I use cheap none grit paper, copy paper works fine! For the cartoons that are made for a order I use better heavier paper with no grit or texture.The texture can make a cartoon look wierd while you are shading.
A eruzre is a nother good tool to have. Unlike say portret drawing we are not stuck in a maze off rules and laws, the sky is the limit whit cartooning.So over time arms may chaneg shape or position, horns may be added of removed. So a good piece of boo-boo rubber is not a luxery.

To be a God!

Now we have all the tools we need we can start creating....well all we want!! Think about it, by know, it is you and a empty piece of paper. I love that stage, what could be next could be the next best thing to happen to the art world, or be the ember that will start a fire across the world, or just a funny cartoon that makes you smile.
As a example I will take a pig, nice and simple shape. And as we have arrived with shapes it might be a good moment to stop here for a second and look at a cartoon. As we all know, everything is made out of simple shapes, circles, squares ect. Nothing is more true then that is making a cartoon. Soft round edges makes them look " nicecr" and "friendlier". All the cartoons I make for children are round and with big eye's.

Even tough the subject might be spooky, the boggle eye's gives it a friendly face.

Who?

After picking the pig a subject we can start by making a fast and simple sketch, do not spend more then say 5 minuts on the whole thing, To much good cartoons are ruined by to much thinking and didering. Follow your first instinct and have fun with it. No one can tell you that the nose has to be that big or small on a cartoon of Bush, on a good cartoon some things are picked out and made bigger just to enhance the reconizabilaty of the character or subject. An elpiphant for example HAS big ears, so why not make them really big so anyone who sees the cartoon for the first time reconizes with in an instent what it is.
With a few strokes we have created a pig that has the all the character trades of wel a pig. The floppy ears, the " wallplug" nose and hogfeet

.A good tip is before you start drawing the subject what the main features are. Does he/she have a big nose? Flappy ears? A large chin? Or does the animal have a feature that defines him? The mains of a lion, the spots on a giraff, the stripes of a zebra and such.
For my style, I keep the eye's the same most of the time, they are just two eggshaped ovals stuck together in the middle.The expresion comes from the position of the pupils and the brow. With a simple line across the eye's we can make the pig look bored of with a V-shaped line make to look angry or mean.

Here we can see a good example off expression in the eye's.
He looks Bored and she looks more..well like she is mad at him.

The witch here looks evil, but the shape off the eye's are the same as the santa.

Of humans and animals.

There is a not a large difference between making a cartoon animal of human. They both have to be reconisable for what they are, even with all the artistic freedom one has making a cartoon, A pig that is green in color still has to have the pig snout to be a pig and Jay Leno still has to have a large chin, even if we dipict the man in a dress while bottle feeding a cat that looks like Conan the Barbarian. ( Yes I have a vived imagination), When I start a cartoon, be it human or animal, I tend to start with the eye's. They are they same for me, again the two eggshapes stuck togther. From that point we can go everywhere. A nose will make it a human and a snout a animal. By making the eye' s the same for all makes your style yours and reconizable for others.
When making a cartoon of a animal or human we pick out the things that makes the subject and focus on that. As I mentioned before, large nose and ears.

The pig I picked had all these things, the round eye's, the pig trades and without a doubt to anyone, it is a pig. Would I have been making a human, I would have started with the eye's and the brow. Then I would have skeched those things that would made that human stand out. Wacky hair or a large beard. Making the head of a human much bigger that the body gives room for a small senario around him without drawing all the attention away from the face. More on this later.

Lost in Space...and it is silent.

Now we have a pig on a large white space. By it self that is fine, if we want to just use a pig a illustration or such, but as a cartoon we can make the pig Do or Be anything and anywhere!! Ever saw a pig fly? Well stick a simple cape on the critter, flyhelmet and BOOOM a flying pig is born. Cartoons are great!
Anyway....back on earth we have to make some dissions. Is the pig floating in the endless sea of whiteness of is he standing in lets say a barnyard? Or is the cartoon there to make a point? Now is the time to sketch that in. A background can make or brake a cartoon, A busy background draws the attention away from the front and that is not what we want. So try keep it calm and if you are using colors, use softer colors. With humans backgrounds most of the time not nessesary, but they can help in making a point or help set the scene.
So the pig stand now in a barnyard and we have the scene all sketched out. Time for the next step.
<<

amrit22

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:24 pm

This tutorial is great so far! keep going.
<<

The Viking

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:16 am

No more BabySteps...RUN!!

Now we know howe to make a simple cartoon we can move on to the more harder stuff, humans.

I will tell you know the secrests of human cartoons...move closer.
Humans are a bit harder then animals becauses of the face and hands, Hands can be very very hard to do. Therefore it is best to begin with something simple,like no hands, a pirate can have two hooks, of your little man is holding something.But I will come back to hand as the time call for it it. For now we shall concentrate on the face, just as we did with the pig.

We have to decide what we are going to draw. I am using an older drawing of a Farhao that I made.

This has all the charastaristicks of a good human cartoon figure. It has the big eye's, the big cartoon nose, and a big head compaired to his body.
His hands are very simple. I gave him a staff in the hand in front and the one in the back is almost not there because he is holding it next to his body. With this, you do not have to make two complete hands, a good simple lesson there. His fingers are still poking out from his body at the back, this helps create the illusion that there is a second arm.
With human cartoon, the overall form is more important then animals. Most animals are easy to reconise, but humand need more detail to be a good cartoon.

Again we start with the eye's. two oval shapes, a large nose make up the bigger part of the face. Make them bigger so you can do more detail in them. A glare in the eye makes a good detail that will cary your cartoon far. As in the farao, the lips and the overall face is kept long and slender, but the same eye's and nose would work for a "fat" santa.

Eye's are everything.

When making a cartoon that show's the figure from the front, make the eye like this and show the exprassion with a few simple lines.

Again , the lines underneath the eye's gives them debt and a place for shade so the stand out more later.
I make the pupils mostly the same as with the animals, a full circle with a white "dott" in them. But on the more...keepworthy..cartoon i use the cressent eye's. Half moons that have a lot of soul in them.
They area around the eye's will get a lot of shading and detail. But feel free to use what ever shape you like, you could use the snake eye's for a political cartoon!

Now if the eye's where important the hands can be even more dire.
I have diffeculty with hands, they never come out how I want them to be, so I improvice! K.I.S.S ( keep it simple stupid) And I have been called that a lot over the years so why not follow other peoples advice??
Most cartoonists will use the Three Finger Technique. Draw the thumba and three fingurs and the hand will look ok everthough it is not as nature intended. This works great.
Start by sketching the hand and if so the object it is holding and just use the three fingers.
Another good tip is to make sure they are holding something!

Take this Viking and his hand, he is holding a shield and his sword. The hands are simple, one does not even show! and the other is very simple worked in.
All it takes is practice with hands, look at your own hands and draw them, my six year old daughter love to pose for me!

I think that is it, the most important thing is to have fun! i could go on and on about styles of cartoons like manga and old english styles and such but then this post would be miles long!

Did I mis anything?? Please let me know.
<<

SmokinL

Addicted
Addicted

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:08 pm

cool tutorial. if you are interested in cartoons check out this link....

http://www.brianlemay.com/Pages/portfolio.html

some great stuff.

Heres a few of my own work from the sketchbook..nothing too wonderful but fun.

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.....officer.
<<

jackie0109

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:58 am

<<

Tessa

Amateur
Amateur

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:17 am

<<

bish660

Brand New Member

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:37 pm

<<

~Sparky~

Brand New Member

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Cartoons

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial.
It helped me nail some of those bothersome angle-shape things!
Like, how the eyes would look like when the person is cocking their
head to the side while asking a question. Or, the face's proportion
during side-view. C:

I learned a lot from this. Once again, thank you.
<<

seraulu1

Brand New Member

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cartoons

Hi,

Thanks for the information you give that's a good help for me and to other,and by the way i am newbie to these forum and i apologize for my my bad English too hope you understand it!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D>

Return to Art Tutorials