FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I can copy very accurately, but how do I draw from memory?

Moderator: duey

<<

ichigoonwall

Brand New Member

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm

I can copy very accurately, but how do I draw from memory?

I am aspiring to be a cartoonist, maybe to write comic books or manga. I can copy other artists works or draw from life pretty accurately. The thing is, I want to get to the point where I can just easily draw characters that I think of. I know this takes perhaps thousands of hours of practice, and I am not looking for the easy way; I am looking for the effective way. I am willing to spend many hours a day drawing, but I need some guidance as to how to structure this practice so that I am making the most of the time I invest. For lack of proper instruction, lately what I've been doing is watching shows on my computer, pausing them, and drawing the faces. I don't spend too much time worrying about the detail; I'm just trying to train my hand to be able to draw the line well. Here's the most recent page in my sketchbook Image.
Also sometimes I copy art from manga or comics Image.
But when I try to draw from my head, it comes out bad. I can't draw consistent characters because I can't differentiate between a change of angle/expression and a different character entirely. So what is the best way to work on this?

Just for the record I can draw other styles, like this Image,
but I don't like making that kind of thing.

Thanks for any input
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: I can copy very accurately, but how do I draw from memor

The last picture is pretty good,check out some of the cartoonist that work for Disney.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/

Return to Art Tutorials