[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Opinions wanted for my new website
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Opinions wanted for my new website

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 am

Opinions wanted for my new website

Hi folks. I have started a new blog, dedicated to my favorite medium, Oil pastels. :D

I came up with the name and even got the domain name, called "Oil Pastels Pro" - and the website is http://www.oilpastelspro.com.

So I started whipping up a blog design in Wordpress and got started developing some content for it.

Now I'm second guessing myself a little bit as to the name. I'm not sure that calling it "Pro" is something that artists would be that interested in. I mean, "Pro" works if you're niche is something technical or maybe something for entrepreneurs. But for artists... maybe the word "Pro" might even turn some artists off?

What do you all think? Would something like just "Oil Pastels Lessons" be more appealing? What about just "Oil Pastels Art"? Or does "Oil Pastels Pro" sound just fine for you all, and I'm worrying over nothing? (I do that sometimes!)

Thanks for any input... I'm just in the beginning stages with this, so I still have time to backtrack some, if needed.
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Opinions wanted for my new website

I would google and see what comes up,you would need to be original and catchy,And is it necessary to include the word 'Oil',that will cut down your search ability,I really have no idea just chucking some stuff at you :)
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Russ, thanks! You know, I actually do want to keep the word "Oil" cause Oil pastels is my thing :mrgreen: ... plus I plan to have 90% of the content exclusively on oil pastels. It's a very focused niche, and I'm cool with that. My only concern is with the use of the word "Pro".... if that word somehow might be not appealing for artists. Maybe it's just me second guessing myself, which I do sometimes. At first I thought "Oil Pastels Pro" was great, then my mind got to wondering...
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Renkai,
Great idea, I understand your apprehension with the word "Pro" in the title.
Maybe "How to Paint with Oil Pastels" or "Oil Pastel techniques" would be better.
"Oil Pastel pro" is not Terrible, but it kind of gives the impression that you already need to know how to use them.

Hope this helps, I will check it out when it's finished. :)

<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks so much Larc for the input! Really appreciate it.

You know, I also own OilPastelTechniques.com too.

Would you (or anyone else reading) find that more appealing than OilPastelsPro.com?
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Pro's a no IMO
But 'Projects' would suit 8)
<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks again, Russ, I value your input on this.

I do like "Projects" somehow... I want to make it obviously an instructional site. But I am feeling like "Pro" comes across as a little too much. Then again I don't wanna be "Oil Pastels Amateur" either! haha :mrgreen:
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:16 pm

OilPastelProjects.com By Eric the Painter :lol:
Job Done :D
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Pro tips, beginers Tutorials & Advanced techniques in oil pastel distribution on stretched canvas or other materials.com
It has a certain ring to it. I just hope they don't charge by the letter, for the domain name. :lol:

or pick and mix, from any of the above. :)

<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 am

haha, thanks again, both of you! I just bought oilpastelsartdrawingstechniqueslessonsandmore.com!! (kidding)

I'll give it all some thought! I think the main thing is to just produce a ton of awesome content for people and see what happens... the name may not be so important, if the lessons and content is good enough...
<<

emerald art

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 am

how about www.Art with oil.com
<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:44 pm

well I did make a change to the name. I switched it to just "". I am happy with this now. "Oil Pastels Pro" just didn't feel right. I knew I wanted to get a blog going where I talk about oil pastels and have tutorials and lessons and everything, and initially "Pro" seemed like a cool name. I also usually tend to go back to my gut instinct on things. But this time I just couldn't shake the feeling that "Pro" wasn't the right name. The more I thought about it, the more "Oil Pastels Artist" seemed like the way to go.

Anyway thanks you guys for the input and if anyone wants to check it out:

!!! :)
<<

booters

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 am

I would learn alot form your site =)
maybe I will try oils someday.
Excellent job! =D>
Feeling like a freak on a leash.