[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - IMAGINE...
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

IMAGINE...

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:09 am

IMAGINE...

Here's my first pastel drawing. It's not actually the first...but the first one that i enjoyed doing. I tried a different approach. The idea came to me when i first saw the reference. Obviously...i'm not striving for realism here but i kinda like the result. It's fun doing it...took me about 2 hours.
Derwent Pastel pencil on Canson Mi Teintes (black)
size: 9x12

I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Brendan

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:09 am

Nice job .. I like the glasses and the eye. Have you done much pastel drawing before ?
This reminds me a bit of the old black velvet paintings that were popular in the 70's.
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Really beautiful. Great idea to put it on black paper too!! Cool to see you trying out pastels! :D
<<

Christy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:19 pm

I love this "painting"! I love that what makes the biggest impact is whats not there. The black really makes the face pop out.

LOVE IT!

question - how do you do your base sketch? Is in with a white pastel or did you even do a base sketch?

Also - Does it bother any one else that they are called "pastel paintings". In my mind they are technically not a painting because it's not paint. Not that it's a big deal, just thought I'd share my crazy way of thinking. :D
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:40 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:47 pm

<<

Christy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:48 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:04 pm

<<

amrit22

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:53 pm

thats a nice pastel drawing.. even though i know nothing about pastel drawings, still looks good. when i first saw the picture, i thought that u made a self-portrait :lol:
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:32 am

<<

Arizona

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:24 pm

I really like it! I just bought some more of the canson paper today. I am going to try out some more of these painting/drawings. I think they call them paintings because of the way you hold the pastel, you use your whole arm to apply it to your surface, like painting.
Check out my da account! http://mcsho.deviantart.com/
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Thanks Amy.
Yeah, I think it's called both a painting and a drawing. :wink:

<<

Okybor

Amateur
Amateur

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Hey you're good. :)
Imperfections make arts perfect.
<<

neela

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:56 pm

good pastel drawing very well done
I don't say everything, but I paint everything.

http://neelakapoor.deviantart.com/

Return to Pastels