[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Grand Haven Lighthouse>WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Grand Haven Lighthouse>WIP

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:15 am

Grand Haven Lighthouse>WIP

I've been having so much fun with pastels lately, I thought I'd start another one. This project will be something very new to me. I think I've only done a couple of landscape drawings. This will be a lighthouse on a pier in Grand Haven, Michigan. The lighthouse is very familiar to me as I have been going to the Grand Haven beach pretty much all of my life. As a child I remember jumping off of the pier into Lake Michigan. This lighthouse is very much a symbol of West Michigan, where I am from and have lived all of my life.

I have been intrigued by clouds since I started drawing and I always wanted to draw them but I always chickened out because I thought they'd be too difficult. They aren't as hard as I thought they were, I'm actually very happy with how they are coming out so far. This picture I took with my digital camera and as usual it is not accurate. The sky is lighter and blue-er. :D

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:27 am

Nice work so far...we'll see how this turn out.
But where's your portrait of Conan o'brien? :roll:
I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Christy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:21 am

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:21 pm

Straycat, oops, it's posted now. I forgot to post it here. :D

Christy, thanks, yeah landscapes are totally different. I feel more free with landscapes. Like I am able to change more things.

I worked on this a little bit tonight more tonight. I am really loving working on this. It's nice to be thinking of summer in the middle of winter. While I am working on this I find my mind wandering back to times I've spent out at this beach. I can almost feel the sea breeze and the sun on my back. Really cool that working on something like this can totally take you places inside your head.

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:53 am

<<

Christy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:22 pm

all I can say is - wow! I'm excited to see more updates. :)
<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:46 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:20 pm

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:53 pm

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:58 pm

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:28 am

Thanks Straycat. Yeah I saw that board on blicks. I might buy some of that, don't know.

The reason I wanted to go with the green water is because if I made the water blue, I think it would be too much blue with the sky. I wanetd it to contrast a little bit.

I was driving around last weekend, not really having anything to do so I decided to make the 30 minute drive to this lighthouse. It was really cool to see it in person again. It's probably been a couple of years since I've seen it in person. I got out of the car and walked down this pier. I don't think I'd ever seen it in the winter time. It was very cold and there were huge chunks of ice on Lake Michigan. Kind of cool to see.
Here's another update.

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:43 am

Nice update. :wink: Do you think this medium is more difficult than graphite?

I went to blick store and bought some Strathmore black pastel paper. This is a lot cheaper than Canson. There is also the Strathmore Artgain paper. I don't know if you have heard of this. They're also black but as smooth as bristol, and it says it's for charcoal and pastel. :roll:

<<

duey

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:49 am

<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:21 am

<<

graphix25

Pro
Pro

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Next

Return to Pastels