[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Pastel portrait of a WW1 veteran
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pastel portrait of a WW1 veteran

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

Swindanna

Brand New Member

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:02 am

Pastel portrait of a WW1 veteran

Hi all, I'm a new forum user from the England. I found this website about a week ago whilst researching pastel techniques. I've seen the fantastic quality of the artwork on this site and hope you guys can help me out on here.
I've been drawing for about 2 years and have practised working in graphite, coloured pencil, watercolour paint and finally pastel. I've been using Faber pitt pastel as I just can't get on with the 'looser' pastel stumps. The picture I've added is of Harry Patch who is local to where I live but unfortunately died last year at the tender age of 111yrs! I've done a lot of detailed drawings in graphite but I've only dabbled in pastels and this is my first serious attempt at human skin tones. I haven't worked much on coloured grounds and was wondering whether this picture needs a background as there seems to be violet overkill!
Thanks for looking

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Pastel portrait of a WW1 veteran

I like it the way it is, sans background. Both the subject and the drawing have a lot of character... your style and technique is awesome! Is there any special purpose to this drawing or was it just for your own enjoyment? It should be displayed in a public place!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Swindanna

Brand New Member

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 am

Hi, thank you for your inspiring comments. The chap in the picture lived about 15 miles from where I live, but the main reason why I have a regard for him is that he was the last person (up until july09)still living who fought in the trenches in WW1. He almost became a bit of a celeb just for that reason,
He came from humble unbringings and was a quiet person.............He never spoke of the attrociaties of the trenches until he was 100 yrs old. I'm in awe of people who have lived so long and seen so much.just imagine going throught 2 world wars,seeing the invention of the car and the jet engine, and the invention of the computor! Wow!
I just hope I caught the essence of such a person.thanks for looking
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 am

The skin tone is great.
Are you using Faber Castell hard pastel or pastel pencil?

There's not much pastelist over here.
You may want to join Wet canvas as well, you can get a lot of tips there.
I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Swindanna

Brand New Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:52 am

Hi there, I've just subscribed to Wetcanvas which does seem to have a lot of helpful info on pastels. I'm using Faber Castel Pitt pastels which are quite hard. I'm used to using dry coloured pencil so converting to a harder pastel seemed the best option for me.
Thanks for your comments on my drawing
<<

booliba'

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Oo*

It's a very good draw'
I don't know what say else...

Return to Pastels