[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Homage to Diego Rivera (WIP)
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Homage to Diego Rivera (WIP)

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

renkai

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Homage to Diego Rivera (WIP)

This is for class. The assignment is to copy a master artist, using oil pastels. I chose Diego Rivera because I love his work. Although I don't usually like doing these "master-copy" projects, I have to say that so far I am enjoying this one. Rivera is unbelievable.... like his murals. He seems to love doing pieces involving the callas lilies, such as this one.

Any pointers or tips, as I proceed? I expect to be finishing her body tonight, darkening up the tones mostly. Then move on to the lilies. Can't say I'm looking forward to working on the textures for the mat or the basket... but maybe i can make something fun out of it!

Oh, btw the Expressionist are not what I'm using much of -I actually have only used like 2-3 from the box. The rest are Sennelier :)
<<

Atilla

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:09 pm

It's looking good so far, I don't really know anything about pastels so I can't really give tips. :)
Don't judge a book by it's cover , open it up and read it.

http://atilla10.deviantart.com/
<<

mononoke

Respected Member
Respected Member

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:03 pm

You got it so far! There seems to be a lot more of a peach tone to the right side of her body in the original.

Oh, and I would go in with yellows first on the flowers, if you wanted my opinion. Also, I have used "eyeshadow" applicators, little sticks w/ wedges of sponge on the ends. (If you don't know what I'm talking about y our girlfriend will...) :) I have used them with great success when blending pastel. I know it's best not to blend, but I don't believe that under all circumstances... Have you ever experimented with mineral oil and pastel? It's a messy good time!!! :lol:
Great artists do not rely on talent but the countless numbers of hour practicing and honing a skill.

Return to Pastels