[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - First attempt with pastels
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

First attempt with pastels

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

MARTYN SCOTT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:33 am

First attempt with pastels

Hi all
I fancied a change from pencil and thought I would try out pastel.
Done this my first effort in just over 1 hour with very quick marks and smudges
Next time I think I will slow it down and try to blend gradually, if that’s the right way to use this medium?
Please comment to help me improve on my next effort.
[img][/img]
Please visit my drawing diary and leave a comment. www.teachingmyselftodraw.blogspot.com
<<

Atilla

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 am

It looks pretty good to me , but I don't know how to help you improve , as I dont''t use them yet . :)
Don't judge a book by it's cover , open it up and read it.

http://atilla10.deviantart.com/
<<

MARTYN SCOTT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:37 am

Please visit my drawing diary and leave a comment. www.teachingmyselftodraw.blogspot.com
<<

Atilla

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:11 pm

Don't judge a book by it's cover , open it up and read it.

http://atilla10.deviantart.com/
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:05 pm

<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:51 am

don't know if I can qualify in being good enough yet to give tips, but here goes.

This is a cool pic by the way.

Since starting with pastels I have found the following helps,

Have a good set of pastels that lay color down easily, and either put a dark wash down, then fix and build up for a darker overall tone, or lay down a light flesh color wash and build up shadows.

I sketch the portrait out first, getting as close to what I think looks correct, on my 11" x 14" Bristol Vellum.

Then lay down the wash.

Once the wash is down, use 2-3 different shades of light brown and other flesh like colors, looking at the reference just put in where you think the tones are. Dont blend yet.

Keep the lips, eyes, and the part of the nose where you want a highlight nice and light for later.

once the face looks all scribbled in, start to blend the color as if you are literally face painting the subject. By rthat i mean move your fingers, or whatever you use to blend around the shapes the face would be. For example, follow the cheekbone as if you were touching it. This helps the tones seem more shaped and natural.

You can always use a kneadable eraser to pick out any pastel you dont want or feel the need to correct.

Once the face looks decent, use some pastel pencils for the eyes and try to get a nice look. Also shaping out the eyebrows at this point helps too.

Use pencils for the dark shadows on the nose/nostrils as this gives you more precise lines rather than using a pastel stick which is more difficukt to keep where you want.

Highlight the nose, usually down nearl the bulbus (<-- probably not a word) part and also up the bridge.

The lips are often a little tricky. The top lip is the darker, but it must be soft with a highlight usually above following the contour.
The bottom lip you can use a pastel pencil to map out the very bottom shadow, and then just blend down from the top, using the eraser when needed.

Hair with pastel can be messy, using pencils will give you the more realistic appearance and using sticks and the eraser you can get away with a decent attempt.

Lately, I tend to fix my work once i am happy with a particular part. Once fixed, you can go back with a white, or grey to highlight and also at this point use a dark brown, or black to pop out the features where needed. like the nose shadow, of the crease of the smile.

Hope this helps

Cordy
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

MARTYN SCOTT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:58 am

<<

jackie0109

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:29 am

Return to Pastels