[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Third Pastel Attempt, Self Portrait NOW COMPLETE SEE BOTTOM!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Third Pastel Attempt, Self Portrait NOW COMPLETE SEE BOTTOM!

Moderators: Brendan, Phan-Tom, duey

<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am

Third Pastel Attempt, Self Portrait NOW COMPLETE SEE BOTTOM!

Now then, now then,

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I just bought the panpastels in an attempt to better myself with this medium. As much as I enjoy graphite, adding colour really gives a piece some zap.

Anyway, I am currently working on a self portrait. I have spent around 3 to 4 hours so far. This is a picture of me on holiday on a train. The image behind is the world going by.

Also i dont usually look gangta!! :lol: just happened to have my hat like that, i will post the reference as well.

All comments welcome

cheers

reference

WIP

close up

Last edited by cordy on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

angeleswings

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:42 am

I really like how the face is comming along. The background looks too scribbled, instead of streaky. The face is really good though.
<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:45 am

well i always have thought my face looks good :wink: ha, just joking around
<<

angeleswings

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 am

I'd be afraid to do a portrait in pastels. I would have to draw my own face in case it was really bad. I wouldn't want to go back to someone else I was drawing and be like..... "Here's my ugly portrait of you."
<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:14 am

ha, i know what you mean.

its cool working with pastels, and these panpastels are very easy to erase if you make a mistake. I find building the layers and getting the right tone the most difficult part.

i have a few other projects in mind too. I wish i didnt have to work so i could do this all day :( :(
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Great job so far... you've definitely got a strong resemblance in your drawing. I have to say though, your pastel drawing makes you look a lot older than the reference picture does! I think it might have something to do with the bags under the eyes and the fact that your moustache scruff is a bit more defined in your drawing than in the picture. Nonetheless, great job so far, I'm sure the final result will be spectacular!
Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 am

Done!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so i finished off the portrait last night.

Things i learned....

1. Fixative darkened the overall look using these pastels.
2. The nose was very difficult to get right as my face is at a funny angle.
3. I should have laid down a base tone and fixed that, then built up from there.
4. PanPastels wont give you detail, you will have to use regular pastels pencils or sticks for that.

Overall I am very happy with this, I wasn't going for realism, just an expression of me, so I dont mind that it isn't exact.

I have also taken close ups of the parts i like best. I think my head and cap looks good, and I am pleased with the lips,

please comment

Cheers,

Cordy
<<

angeleswings

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:42 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:42 am

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

cordy

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm

<<

muskwa

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:39 am

<<

Emeraldisle

Addicted
Addicted

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 pm

I really like it!!!!!! I love pastels and pencil!!! just wondering what kind of pastel you use?? :? :?
Is fear rith maith na drochsheasamh.
<<

Lindseylovestodraw

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:50 am

<<

speedbump1

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 pm

I like it. You did not overwork it and I think the outcome would not have been too good if you tried to get more photo-realistic with the pastels. Great portrait and it's good to know when to quit.

Return to Pastels