[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - New to drawing, but eager to learn
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New to drawing, but eager to learn

Moderator: duey

<<

Ifsed

Brand New Member

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 pm

New to drawing, but eager to learn

Hi,

I'm not only new to this forum, but I'm new at drawing in general. I have taken a fundamentals class at my college, but I'm still not too confident in my drawing abilities.
I am eager to learn how to draw humans and figures, but not sure where to start since the best I can draw are stick figures. I do know that I work best with using guidelines or wire-frame objects and basic shapes. I have checked up anatomy books, but I do feel intimidated by them due to how complex the drawings are.

I've been watching Mark Crilley's how to draw videos and picked up his book, but I am not sure if I'm starting in the right place by trying to learn from his tutorials first since they focus on creating Manga figures instead of realistic figures. I also have an awful tendency to draw with a heavy hand, so when I do make my guidelines, they are harder to erase in the final product.

If anyone has any advice for a newcomer like me, I'd be eager to hear it. I feel clueless to where to start and a bit overwhelmed with all the tutorials on the net. I do draw a lot on my own without any tutorials, but I feel like I am needing an extra boost to get on the right track of drawing humans both realistically and dynamically.
<<

Larc-Romeo

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 am

Re: New to drawing, but eager to learn

Hi Ifsed,

Lets start by getting some work posted here, then we can see what level you are really at.
There are artists of all levels here, all of which are willing help if they can.
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay. :)

<<

Ifsed

Brand New Member

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Thank you for responding. :)

I am trying to get my scanner set up to my laptop, but I'm having some issues getting it to work. In the meantime, is there any figure drawing books you'd recommend for a complete beginner? Is Mark Crilley's book a decent place to start?

Edit:
I bought this wooden doll figure and this: http://books.google.com/books/about/Sketching_People_Life_Drawing_Basics.html?id=iz6gZJluynIC
(Sketching People: Life Drawing Basics by Jeff Mellem). I did have the Christopher Hart figure book, but the figures looked off to me. I am not sure if that is due to me being a beginner though.
I'm hoping this new book is not too complex for me.
<<

CeejayShadow

Amateur
Amateur

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:32 am

Hiya!

I'm new here myself but I thought I'd mention the tutorials on this website - maybe have a go using the techniques described here to grid across the outline of a photograph you like to start off with. As you complete the outline of a figure pay attention to the way the lines form the whole, looking back at the reference photo as a whole to reassure you. I've noticed that with only line work and no tonal variation (shading) figures in more complex poses can look off because its the shading that gives it three dimensional form and 'explains' the shape of the outline if you like.

CJ

Return to Welcome