FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hello...New Member (in search of a little advice also)

Moderator: duey

<<

Myrianne93

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello...New Member (in search of a little advice also)

Hello, my name is Myrianne and I'm a senior in high school. I'm 17 years old and I am completely freaking out because I don't really know what to major in in college. I am really interested in art and so is my best friend so we are always on this site looking to see what's new and always involving ourselves in some form of art around school. Lucky for her, she can really draw. On the other hand, I have a hard time drawing a perfect circle or straight line (even with rulers they are slanted). #-o So in school, I have completed a still shot portrait, baby portrait, and other projects that contained I guess the basic techniques but all of it has been copy images. We would go on Getty and just draw the picture. I've realized that i lack the creativity that some of my artistic peers have. I tend to be more general and realistic. For college, portfolios are required and different forms of painting and drawings. So here's the question...should I persue art in college?

I'm really not confident in what I have done because when the work is completed I always see flaws and end up not being very happy with it. Also, everything that I have done In high school has been basic copying and college requires original pieces.

I'm open to all comments and would really appreciate an honest answer (I dont mind constructive criticism).

Thank you!

By the way, happy to be here and can't wait til I can actually post some pieces for some professional feedback. :D
Ps, sorry if there are some typos. I'm on an iPad and I'm not very good at typing on this yet. :roll:
<<

ShawnaCT

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Hello...New Member (in search of a little advice also)

Take a deep breath first off.
I can tell you first hand that most artist are their worst critics. so thats normal.
and just because you like/love art dosent mean you have to stay in the confines of drawing. maybe sculpting or woodworking might be of more interest.
Best advice i could probly give, would be take a intro course and try a bunch of diferant mediums till you find the one that works best for you.
also keep in mind, you are just starting out. so its doughtful your first few pieces will be "masterfull" but hold onto your old works so you can watch your improvements.
best wishes and good luck
shawna
with my head firmly in the clouds, i let my pencils sing and dance.
live well, love much ,smile often
<<

Russ

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm not confident in my ability,but other say my Art is really good.It's right what Shawna says,just try and be happy with what you do,and remember you do it because you want to...if not,then give up.
But please give it a chance.
Ramblings from a bloke with the onset of Godliness,Genius and Guinness
http://www.facebook.com/RussSmithArt
http://guinnessdaze.deviantart.com/
<<

Myrianne93

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks for the advice.

One more question...when taking pictures on a camera, the images seem to come out better when the flash is on but everything is drawn in an ebony pencil so it appears gray/silver in the all black spaces. How can I fix that?
<<

Emarald Dawn

Brand New Member

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 am

I have found taking pictures of my drawings in natural light helps. I usually take a few, in direct sunlight, with and without flash, and also under the shade. You have to be careful to not get any lines on your drawing when taking the picture in the shade. So its best to have a friend who can perhaps hold an umbrella or poster board over the drawing to creates a solid shadow. I also edit my pictures with any photo editing application on my computer. In the application I can adjust the photograph easily. I hope this helps!

Good luck and I would love to see some of your work.
http://portraitsbyerin.com
<<

Myrianne93

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks it did help. :D

Return to Welcome