[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Thought I'd Better Introduce Myself
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Thought I'd Better Introduce Myself

Moderator: duey

<<

annenon

Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 am

Thought I'd Better Introduce Myself

Hello all,

As I've already created a few of posts, I thought it was about time I said hello as a new member.

As a child I loved drawing - still life, landscapes that sort of thing, although I was never any good at drawing people - unless you can count Star Wars characters such as Darth Vader, C3PO and Stormtroopers - maybe not! But in common with many others, the pressures of adulthood took over and drawing took a back-seat.

Now, the wrong side of forty, I found a facination for Manga and after watching the wonderful videos provided by Mark Crilley and Sopiechan90 on You Tube, two weeks ago I bit the bullet and decided to have a go. In spite of having severe RSI that prevents me from writing, I found that I could produce a reasonable Manga portrait (hope that doesn't sound conceited). But then, watching the You Tube videos from RivenPhoenix, I realised that I may be able to produce a 'real portrait', and had a go at drawing his Leonard Nimoy as Spock and got a fair likeness.

I am now, although still not very good, hooked on portrait drawing and am keen to learn more.

I would also like to say, what a refreshing change it is to come on to a forum, and find so many nice and friendly people. It is really good to read the posts on here and not find rude, insulting or unhelpful comments.
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:34 am

Re: Thought I'd Better Introduce Myself

welcome! nothing wrong with manga if that's what you like. It will defiantly help you if your just starting. Best of luck with the portrait drawings...just know that you'll get better with each one. It's hard in the beginning, trust me!
<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

Mark

Respected Senior Member
Respected Senior Member

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 am

<<

canadianmaple09

Highest Rank Possible
Highest Rank Possible

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:26 am

Just your typical waffle-loving Canadian.
My Portfolio: http://www.redbubble.com/people/canadianmaple09
<<

annenon

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:57 am

Thank you for your kind replies

Regarding Manga/Anime art, I think it's the innate comparative simplicity of its art stye that first drew (pun unintended) my attention and, to no lesser degree, the fact that I could produce something that more or less resembled 'real' Manga.

However, having now made a few attempts at drawing real people and finding that I am able to get a picture that at least recognisable as human, my interests now lie in that direction. I have taken on-board the advice given in Brian's tutorials and from other posters on this forum, all of which has been extremely helpful to me.

One thing about Manga that puzzles me, who on-earth is into Hentai - I mean - who is interested in tying up chickens? :lol:

Return to Welcome