[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Any advice appreciated
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Any advice appreciated

Moderator: duey

<<

jenbray

Pro
Pro

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:59 am

Any advice appreciated

Hi everyone, I am hoping you can pass on your stories to me to give me some help and encouragement. I am just exploring my drawing and painting skills (I was very talented many years ago but gave up due to work/family/other committments). I used to draw mainly animals and people when I was younger, but now (age 38) I want to try all different mediums and other areas of art.

I would really love to know how you all became to be artists and if its possible to make a reasonable living from doing so? How did you set up? Can anyone recommend a good source of learning so that I can improve my skills at a relatively low cost? I have a limited budget as I am not working at the moment. I have recently relocated abroad and at present am learning spanish, doing a complete makeover of our new house and looking for paying work as well as exploring the possiblities offered by my artistic talents!

I am new to the forum and am intrigued by looking at all the wonderful work on this site, I hope that I have not lost my talents over the years. Sorry for bombarding you all with questions but any replies will be gratefully received.

Jen :smile:
<<

cujo

Monitor Tanned
Monitor Tanned

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:04 am

Bienvenida a bordo de Jen! :)

Hopefully you can take some time to browse through some of the forum resources. I think you'll find them very useful.

I started drawing at a very young age - I'm now 24, and throughout my life, took breaks (some longer then others). I recently gained a new respect for art and have be doing it quite passionately for about 1 year.

This has mostly been a steady hobby for me, doing commissions on the side, peices for personal reasons in general, so I cannot offer you any words of wisdom on whether or not you can make an honest living from this; although, I know a few people who have!

If you're trying to get a job (not self employed), I would highly recommend learning some modern art styles....Photoshop, Adobe Flash, Poser, Bryce, 3d Modelling applications, etc. There are many employers who REQUIRE this talent. Being able to render something freehand, though, is also an asset.

Anyway, the best resources can be found on sites like dueysdrawings.com. Online communities, tutorials, books, etc. All which are completely free.

Have fun around here - I look forward to seeing your work!

Return to Welcome