[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - Just another new kid in town
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Just another new kid in town

Moderator: duey

<<

sten

Pro
Pro

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:34 am

Just another new kid in town

Hi folks,

I am Sten and I like to draw and at the same time listen to music (favourite: Eagles).
That gives me a "peacefull easy feeling".
I am 60 years young and live in the east of the netherlands, near the german border.
Married to Roelie (45) and I have 2 children, Andy, a son of 7 and Jennifer, a daughter of 25 (1st marriage).
My daughter lives in Amsterdam, studying Biology and singing (and writing songs) in a starting rockband (collect call from mars).
I will definitely try to pencil portrait them !

Brian, thanks for your great site and the excellent tutorials and i am looking forward for the colored pencils tutorial.....
I am glad to have found your site!

I started drawing in august this year after the summer holiday.
I remember that I liked drawing a lot in primary school, but after that it was all sports, music and the opposite sex.
Now I have more spare time for drawing.
So far I have finished 2 drawings, both from tutorials.

The 1st one is a rose from a tutorial from Carol Rosinski (www.toadhollowstudio.com).
Now I think I should have given the rose-drawing more contrast.

The 2nd one you all know: Brian's still life tutorial "zippo lighter".
There is a mistake done in this drawing (i was concentrating too much on the shading).
I will not tell you, because maybe someone wants to find out himself !

The 2 drawings were done on cheap 120 g/m2 cream/light-yellow colored sketch paper with F,HB,2B and 4B pencils.
I will get me some better paper soon.
Is Canson 180 g/m2 (85 lbs) good enough?
Buying Fabriano Hotpress or Bristol smooth from, for instance Dick Blick, is very expensive
because of the international shipping costs. Sofar I have not found these papers in the Netherlands.

Please criticize.
Bye for now,
Sten

just sten
<<

Brendan

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:45 am

<<

sten

Pro
Pro

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Brendan,

Thanks for your encouraging words !
That keeps a person going...
The (little) mistake is in the lid closing mechanism.
(connection between the body and the lid).
It's an alignment error.
It's about 0.5-1 mm, so hardly to see.
I started now with a portrait pencil drawing of my daughter. the eyes are finished now and look OK.
The next step: the hair.
The nightmare for beginners !
So I made a step back: reading tutorials of drawing hair. I'll be glad if I can make the hair look fairly OK.
Bye !
just sten

Return to Welcome