[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3842)
Drawing Forum and Art Community • View topic - New to Board/New to Drawing
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New to Board/New to Drawing

Moderator: duey

<<

Estse

Amateur
Amateur

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:14 am

New to Board/New to Drawing

Hi everyone!

My name is Erika. I’m 26 years old. I stumbled across Brain’s board in mid-June, while researching photorealism for a novel I was trying to rekindle. (I’d given up on it sometime last October, when I’d taken a job nannying two girls.) I was so impressed by Brian’s and others’ work and the level of improvement that I decided to take a stab at drawing just to see where my skill level was at. Never before had I drawn anything (except for whatever projects they assigned in my high school art class—barring one perspective drawing of Chicago, mine were all rather forgettable). In fact, I usually joke about how BAD my sketches/doodles are.

My first attempt at drawing was a rather humble one. After weeks of watching the girls I nannied trace hundreds of coloring pages one after another, I got the idea to encourage them to do more—shade, add highlights, etc. I managed to dig out a drawing kit my grandpa had given me years ago. To inspire them, I printed a picture of three little girls and set out to see what I could do with it. I was encouraged when the eight-year-old told me from across the table that she could tell the difference between the reference pic and my drawing, but that mine “looked real.” I’m posting this drawing and the subsequent one in the Drawing section with my current WIP. I’m still working my way up to all the tools and pencils suggested by members here.

I meant to join the message board in July, once I had some work to share, but lightning struck our condo and messed up all the phone lines. I had dial-up, and it ended up that we had to switch to high-speed to get everything back in working order.

I’m very excited to have finally joined. Everyone here is so kind and inspiring, and I’m eager to finally participate. :D
<<

straycat

The Resident Critic
The Resident Critic

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:51 am

Welcome Erika....
will check on your work after this. :wink:
I'm open to criticisms...keep them coming.

My DA: http://straycat27.deviantart.com/

CLICK to go to the LITTER BOX.
<<

Brendan

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:51 am

Hi Erika - Welcome to the forum !
You come across as a writer - very eloquent :) !
Between you and Brenda (TruleyUnruly) you'll put the rest of us to shame .. 'cuz most of us don't talk so good :( .
<<

Estse

Amateur
Amateur

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Return to Welcome